Unanswered: [4.1.3] Linux i686 source installation problem

Hi,

Is it a way to install MySQL on Linux i686 without having the root privileges ?

Geoffrey
    Last edited by geoffrey; 08-24-04 at 10:05.
    geoffrey
    - Four J's Development Tools -

Provided Answers: 54
    I don't think that you can install the MySQL AB RPM packages without being root, because the RPM creates a mysql login account.

-PatP

In fact the mysql user already exists (there are older MySQL release installed on the computer). I've tried a source install and for the moment, it seems to work
    geoffrey

Good deal! I've heard that it can be done, but I've never had to do it myself... I've always been root or had access to someone that could be root whenever I've needed root access.

-PatP

Lucky you !

I've been told another solution that is to use the sudo command but the system administrator still have to configure the sudoers file so it's seemingly the same thing for him to install the database himself

Edit : question added
    I've achieve to configure rightly the mysql.server script and the my.cnf files and can start and stop a server but there's still the first safe_mysql process who's running (the one it's asked to launch in the mysql documentation)
    --> sh ./bin/mysqld_safe --no-default

And I don't know how to stop it. Is it a risk of using the kill command to stop the process ?
    Last edited by geoffrey; 08-20-04 at 10:34.
    geoffrey

I don't know, but my gut feeling is that it may well be dangerous to just kill it. As long as you haven't entered any significant data, why not try it an see?

-PatP

You are right, I'll try and tell you how it works for me.

Thx for your help
    geoffrey

I'm still trying to install the mysql 4.1.3-beta distribution and I get this error at the "make" execution after ./configure (with gcc 2.96) :
    CFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -mpentiumpro -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/dbs/mys/4.1.3 --enable-assembler --with-client-ldflags=-all-static --with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static --with-extra-charsets=complex

Make error :
    ../libmysql/.libs/libmysqlclient.a(mf_tempfile.o): In function `create_temp_file
    ':
    mf_tempfile.o(.text+0xf8): undefined reference to `mkstemp64'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [mysql] Erreur 1
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
    make: *** [all] Erreur 2

Does anyone have an idea ?

Thx
    Last edited by geoffrey; 08-24-04 at 10:13.
    geoffrey