Thread: Is it possible?

Unanswered: Is it possible?

Is it possible for a backup job to fail, however when you look in the backup folders it shows that the job have in fact ran.

Is SQL Server that misleading?

Lystra

i wouldn't trust a backup that failed and then showed in the backup directory.

Provided Answers: 54
    Backup folders?

-PatP

What I meant to say is that the plan is suppose to create sub directory for each databases. Which it does. Also it is suppose to remove files older than 1 week which it doesn't. So I wonder if that is what is making the job fail. Because it doesn't remove the older files.

Lystra

Check the backup job's history. Find out why it failed.

-PatP

Job History:

Executed as user: MAMSI\sa-sql. sqlmaint.exe failed. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 22029). The step failed.

The Event Log reads:
    SQL Server Scheduled Job 'DB Backup Job for DB Maintenance Plan 'DB Maintenance Plan1'' (0xD9BD0A739F182840B476E864CFCF1765) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2004-08-20 02:00:03 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 19 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Step 1).

The Event Log reads also:
    18264 :
    Database backed up: Database: TestExport, creation date(time): 2004/03/05(11:24:02), pages dumped: 91, first LSN: 6:1327:1, last LSN: 6:1329:1, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=DISK: {'e:\MSSQL\BACKUP\TestExport\TestExport_db_2004082 00201.BAK'}).

This messages is for all the database on the server.

I think it fail because of the ablity not to remove the older files.

Lystra

In the event log it noted that the last step fail.

Job:
    EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-PlanID 7CCF9D44-6F86-4588-B808-D06A6A5E022E -WriteHistory -VrfyBackup -BkUpOnlyIfClean -CkDBRepair -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB -UseDefDir -DelBkUps 1WEEKS -CrBkSubDir -BkExt "BAK"'

The last step is to delete the backup files which is was not able to do. Why, that what I would have to figure out.

So I guess in order for a job to not fail all of the steps have to be done. Otherwise your job will fail.

Thanks

Lystra

Provided Answers: 11
    Any job step can halt the whole job and report success or failure. Open one of the job steps, and go to the advanced tab, and you will see where this si done. It is an exceedingly handy thing. I have many jobs where the last step is a failure notification email. By default the success or failure of the last step is what determines if the job is a success or failure. In order to clarify things, my failure notification email is set up to report failure even when the email succeeds (which it usually does).

At the top of the Job history window is a check box labeled Show step details. Check that box and see if the details help.

-PatP

On the advance tab
    For on success action: Quit the job reporting sucess is highlighted
    For on Failure action: Quite the job reporting failure.

and the check box is check for append output to step history.

Would I need to changes theses configuration?

Lystra