Question Unanswered: Transition to a Web database

I am using sql server(NT server) and msaccess as the front end for the majority of my dbs (some oracle) in windows xp. My company would like to make the transition to web front ends and they have offered to have me trained to do so. I have some training in Html but nothing in regards to linking a webpage to a database. My question is where do I begin? I've tried researching what coursework I would need to go through and haven't found the right information to determine what is the best path of coursework.

Should I take a courses in PHP, Java, vb, perl, etc? Is there one straight answer to this question?

Any help would be appreciated. ps I wasn't sure which forum to post this to, so I started here since the majority of my data is in sql server.

Thanks,
    Dan

There isn't one straight answer to this question. You would need to learn a server-side programming language in conjunction with your HTML knowledge, and there are several to choose from. Since the majority of your data is in SQL Server and you're in an NT environment, I would say ASP is the logical choice. There are several online resources (including this one). The one I like to recommend for beginners is w3schools - http://www.w3schools.com/asp/default.asp

Provided Answers: 54
    No, there really isn't one straight answer. You may not actually need a full blown programming language though, you could use a tool like Cold Fusion to do most of what you probably need. Check out the Cold Fusion forum here, or their web site for more details.

-PatP

I would have to disagree with you if you're saying ColdFusion isn't a full blown programming language. It has a tag-based syntax, but it can do all of the things the other server-side languages can do. I think it should be noted, too, that if Dan already has an NT server, he can run ASP for free while he'd have to pay about $1,300 to run ColdFusion.

Provided Answers: 54
    Very good points, but how much does it cost him in purchase price, time, and training to use Cold Fusion versus the time and training needed to use ASP? If you know both already, ASP looks very nice because of relatively low cost. If you are starting from "ground zero", Cold Fusion looks pretty darned inviting to me, and $1,300 (which is full retail) isn't a show-stopper compared to what could be weeks of lost time for a beginner learning to code and manage ASP.

-PatP

Red face

Thanks for all your info. It gives me a starting point. Much appreciated.