Unanswered: Selecting record for query criteria

I'm using Access 2000. I have developed a db for patient medical records that I use in consulting. One form is a continuous subform which identifies the different medications the patient is taking. I am trying to set up a pop-up dialog box which will display prescibing information for the particular medication when the "drug name" field on that record is clicked. I have tried setting an OnClick macro which opens a form containing the info. The problem I am having is selecting the criteria in the query to indicate the drug selected (the one which is clicked). I have tried building an event to set the criteria as an expression "Forms![Pt/med relationship subform query subform]![drug name]", but I guess this won't work because it is a continuous form and the expression is ambiguous. Is there any way to specify the field which has the focus?
    Thanks for any help offered.

Something to remember about continuous forms: With the current record selected, the names of the controls (textbox, combobox, etc ...) in the detail section are your window into that particular record... So you merely reference the info thru those control names.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Thanks for the reply. You confirmed what I thought. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi

You can open a form from a subform using a button or control Click or DblClickble event to display information. To do this information relating to the opening forms recordset primary key(s) is available in the subform and/or the parent form.

For example

Code:
    Private Sub Comments_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

On Error GoTo Err_Comments_Click

Dim stDocName As String
        Dim stLinkCriteria As String

If IsNull(CHPID) Or IsNull(ReadingDate) Then Exit Sub

stLinkCriteria = "CHPID = " & CHPID & " AND [ReadingDate] = #" & Format(ReadingDate, "mm/dd/yy") & "#"

stDocName = "Comments"

DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria

Exit_Comments_Click:
        Exit Sub

Err_Comments_Click:
        MsgBox Err.Description
        Resume Exit_Comments_Click

End Sub
    The above code opens a form (Comments) showing the comments (in a larger/editable window) from the double click event of the Comments control on a subform.

The form ‘Comments’ is based on a table having a combined primary key of CHPID and ReadingDate. The link criteria for both fields is obtained from field in the subform.

If some info is only available in the parent form, for instance, say the CHPID in this case, then the code would be

stLinkCriteria = "CHPID = " & Me.Parent.lstCHPID & " AND [ReadingDate] = #" & Format(ReadingDate, "mm/dd/yy") & "#"

where lstCHPID is the list control on the parent form.

[Not this is based on UK date format]

Hope this gives you some ideas

MTB

Thanks, Mike, I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Mike, I'll give it a try.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Sorry for the redundancy. My browser appears to be having a meltdown/