Thread: EM SQL Scripts

Unanswered: EM SQL Scripts

The EM can produce SQL Scripts of tables/indexes/constraints/default values etc from a database. When doing so, the create statement for tables and the alter statements for constraints (including the default values) are separated. In effect, the create table-statement will only create the table; keys, default values, indexes are changes on the table. My question is: when saving the results in separated files as a basis to continue working on, would you take the effort of changing the create-tables statements so that will also fill in the default values or keep it separate?

Provided Answers: 54
    I've never bothered to mangle the generated scripts... I've never seen any need for it.

-PatP

Pat: Thing is, there's a db here without any of the tables/views/sp's stored on disk making it, imho, an unhealthy basis to continue building on. So I've scripted the db layout, views and all that allowing me to create a dev. I'm just considering whether I should take the effort or not; when changes are made to the db/tables I'll process it into the create-scripts as well.
    I wonder though, do you have any create scripts that create all the tables in a database, do you keep it separate from the indexes/constraints? I don't want to start a flame-thing on "who's responsible", just wondering if you'd take the trouble?

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm not really clear what you are asking, so this response may seem way off base.

If you are talking about the option that causes Enterprise Mangler to script the PK/FK/Default/Check Constraints as part of the table versus scripting the table "raw" then creating ALTER TABLE statements to add the constraints, I usually don't care how it gets done. If there was some compelling reason to set it one way or the other, then I would. Since the net effect after running the whole script will be the same, I've never bothered to monkey with it... Either way works fine for me, and produces the same results in the end.

-PatP