Unanswered: Why my instance doesn't have an alert.log file?

I created a new instance in my linux server.This server now has 2 instances. But this new instance does not write its alert.log file as the old one. I already checked the value of background_dump_dest, but the path it is pointing to does not have any alert... I already shutdown an startup the instance and nothing...
    PS: This instance was created by another instance through the export utility, but only the structure of the source database was transported.... The data will be populated form strach.
    Nadia

Provided Answers: 1
    Have you tried a search on your hard drive for 'alert.log'? (it may be hiding somewhere)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Yes, see the command below and its result. The only alert I have is the one related to my old instance called orcl.

[root@sysin-oracle root]# find / -name *alert*.*
    /usr/share/pixmaps/nautilus/tiny-alert.png
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-3/drivers/addon/megarac/alerter.h
    /usr/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/agent/events/oracle/host/fault/dgalert.tcl
    /usr/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/agent/events/oracle/rdbms/fault/alert.tcl
    /usr/oracle/product/8.1.7/network/agent/events/oracle/rdbms/space/alertlrg.tcl
    /usr/oracle/admin/orcl/bdump/alert_orcl.log
    Nadia

could it be writing to the OLD location?

So what you think is your old alert log is actually your current alert log?
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Provided Answers: 1
    My guess would be that the instance is not starting properly, and therefore is not creating the log, but as you've said that you've managed to start & stop the instance I'm baffled.

Anyone else got any ideas on this one?
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

I just found out that the user ORACLE did not have the permission to write in the alert log directory.
    Now I gave the permission. I create a file in the directory to test and it worked.
    So, I shutdown the instance and startup again to see if Oracle creates the alert log file, but still does not create it.
    Does someone knows to solve this problem?
    Nadia

It sounds like your installation didn't go very well. Where the logs are placed is part of the Oracle stack and should have the correct rights assigned during the software installation.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.