Unanswered: Reports and lots of fields

Is there any way of making a report uncomplicated - in that i have a query which is combining three different types of orders a customer can have and it also includes the seperate pricing schemes with these different types of orders.

A customer could decide in one order to order 8 things but they will be of a different type of order but in the same job.

Because of this I have done a inner join query to combine all my tables and use that.

However I have come to placing the order details onto the report and there is far to many fields to put on the report without the report become far to many pages width ways. I tried to put it all in a list box but that only allows for 20 fields. I have even cut it down by deciding to just show the subtotal of each order as apposed to a complete break down in cost for each individual order. I am a bit stuck as to how to proceed now.

Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1
    subreports?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I suggest that you step back from the problem and perhaps ask your [internal] customers what they would like to see. What will make this report most useful to them? What do they think will be the most usable output?

As you prepare your report, remember that you can do reports by means of running several queries and other operations in a sequence of operations. That's what the much-maligned "Macros" were so very good for. You don't have to produce "the query from hell" to get the results you want. And you don't have to be constrained, in your report output, to only what such a "hellacious" query would produce row-by-row.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by sundialsvcs
    I suggest that you step back from the problem and perhaps ask your [internal] customers what they would like to see. What will make this report most useful to them? What do they think will be the most usable output?

As you prepare your report, remember that you can do reports by means of running several queries and other operations in a sequence of operations. That's what the much-maligned "Macros" were so very good for. You don't have to produce "the query from hell" to get the results you want. And you don't have to be constrained, in your report output, to only what such a "hellacious" query would produce row-by-row.
    And for those of you who don't like macros you can do code directly within the report itself ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by M Owen
    And for those of you who don't like macros you can do code directly within the report itself ...
    You got that right M Owen,
    Since I've tried VBA I have not written another macro since. Actually learning quite a bit of programming. What I did was create some good macros, then used the tool to CovertMacrosToCode to see what was going on. Now I'm doing VBA.

have a nice one all,
    Bud