Post Unanswered: Stop People importing table

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering really, is there anyway that I can stop people importing the tables from my database system to their own. I realise this is a security issue (Also data protection).

I've compiled my database and then turned it into a .mde file but they can still import them. I've even passworded the database but it really makes little difference because a user needs the password and with it they can still import my tables.

Any ideas to this?

Hi christyxo,

Take a look at this from the Access online help files, this might be just what you need though have never tried it myself.

have a nice one,
    Bud
    Encrypt or decrypt a database
    Encrypting a database compacts the database file, and makes it indecipherable by a utility program or word processor. Decrypting a database reverses the encryption.

Start Microsoft Access without opening a database.
    Important You can't encrypt or decrypt a database when it is open. In a multiuser environment, the encrypt or decrypt operation fails if another user has the database open.

On the Tools menu, point to Security, and then click Encrypt/Decrypt Database.

Specify the database you want to encrypt or decrypt, and then click OK.

Specify a name, drive, and folder for the encrypted or decrypted database; and then click OK.
    If you use the same name, drive, and folder as the original database, and the database is encrypted or decrypted successfully, Microsoft Access automatically replaces the original file with the encrypted or decrypted version. If an error occurs, Microsoft Access doesn't delete the original file.

Notes

If user-level security has been defined, to encrypt or decrypt a database, you must either be the owner of the database or a member of the Admins group and have Open Exclusive permission on the database. Otherwise, the encrypt or decrypt operation fails.

If an object in a version 1.x database includes the backquote character (`) in its object name, you won't be able to encrypt the database. Use Microsoft Access version 1.x to rename it, and then change the references to that object in your queries, forms, reports, macros, and Access Basic code.

Encrypting a database doesn't restrict access to objects. For more information on other security methods, click .

The encrypt or decrypt operation fails if you don't have enough storage space on your disk for both the original and encrypted or decrypted versions of the database.

To me it seems lika a debateable issue as even if we're some how successful in disabling the import of tables/Queries from a mde (I'm also trying to be able to do it but still didn't find any solution as yet) what garantee is there that the data can not be exported as an excel file from a query or a table once even the password protect (and [I wish] table import disabled) database is open.

- Saqib

Quote Originally Posted by Saqib
    To me it seems lika a debateable issue as even if we're some how successful in disabling the import of tables/Queries from a mde (I'm also trying to be able to do it but still didn't find any solution as yet) what garantee is there that the data can not be exported as an excel file from a query or a table once even the password protect (and [I wish] table import disabled) database is open.

- Saqib
    Hi Saqib,
    I was just showing her a point on keeping people on the outside of the database from extracting that data, whether it is needed in Excel or Access or whatever. If they are outside of the database, then the data is encrypted like you info. transferred to your bank and stuff. What they get out is just garbage. Now, if they are already Inside your database and keeping them from Exporting them, then maybe if you just Hide the tables altogether then they won't see them to be able to Export from them, then don't allow them to get to the area that unmasks the table. I forgot how you save tables so that they are not seen. Queries, I have no idea about.
    Bud

I dont believe there is a way because you are allowing other users read access to your database. As far as the database is concerened the user is just reading it. It cannot distinguish what the user is doing in another database. All it knows is the data is being requested. I dont believe that is what you want to hear. But that is the way the database structure works with microsoft. One more reason to hate them :P