Unanswered: recover a complete database from dmp-file...

How would I go bout to create a database from a dmp-file? I do not have a existing database with the same structure onmy system so it has to be complete with jobs, events, tables and so on...

Do I first create a new empty Database and try to import the dmp-file? If so... by wich user since it wasn't any of my users who made the export? will any of my users (such as a user in the DBA-role) have access to the data?

I'm trying to use the Toad for oracle software to do this and I have tried the import utility but I can't get a hang of it since I'm a complete newbie on oracle...

thanks.

Provided Answers: 1
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

To get me started ?! three heavy links just to get me started.. seams like a fairly easy task to do but, well... I guess I better start to read'em

Provided Answers: 4
    In a few words:
    1. create a new database
    2. import your .dmp file using "sys/change_on_install" as username and password

Check the import log file - some huge indexes might fail to import and you'll need to recreate them manually.
    Also, some views might not be created.
    Some functions/procedures might require recompilation.
    Users might encounter problems regarding snapshots or db links (for example), but all data in their schemas will be there.

Generally speaking, it should work without (too many) problems.
    Last edited by Littlefoot; 08-25-04 at 09:00.

Provided Answers: 1
    D'oh! There I go again, answering without reading the full post. I missed the bit about being a complete newbie on Oracle (I'm now standing in the corner in disgrace).

Let us know how it goes, & if you ask for help again I'll try & be more specific with my answers!
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

OK... thanks for the responses... I've tried to get toknow oracle and TOAD a litlle bit more... I also tried to import the dmp-file to one of my exicting databses with this parameter file:

FILE="C:/MYDATABSES/thefile.dmp"
    LOG="C:/MYDATABSES/imp_thefile.log"
    FULL=Y
    IGNORE=Y
    FEEDBACK=1000

The importing seem to start but a list of errors returns...

it says (transated from swedish ) :

.importing object for SYSTEM to SYSTEM

.importing object for WERTY to WERTY
    imp00017 the following statement failed with oracle error 1435
    "ALTER SCHEMA = "WERTY""
    imp00003 oracle error 1435 occured
    ORA-01435: user does not exist

and then those line repeat many 100s of times...

By this I'm guessing that the user/schema WERTY needs to already exist in the current database? the last line says "import is finished but with errors" and I cant see any new tables or such in the db...

Any ideas?

can I import using sql-commands instead... if so, how wold that look?

Thanks guys... and cis_groupie... no standing in the corner on my account the links were helpful!

ow solved... i simply created the user WERTY and made him DBA... that took care of it...

however... after the update I did not see any jobs... the db might not have contained any, but my guess was that it should... is there any way of knowing?

Litllefoot > you mentioned the log. All I see in that is the importing of tables... (indexeses and such were imorted though)

ideas?