Thread: ADP vs MDB

Unanswered: ADP vs MDB

Ok, here goes

I have an ADP (Access Project) that I used by myself to modify/search/add data to a SQL Server 2000 Table. I now need to share this project with multiple Users in our office, while maintaining security. By security I mean only select users (based on NT Login) will have access to modifying records.

While doing all this I also need to make the project MultiUser, in that If I make changes to the project each user must see the updates. Now, from what I have seen so far an Access project cannot be multiuser, only an MDB can.

I want to have one ADP file on a network share that all users access. Is this possible? If not, how can I port my ADP -> MDB?

Thanks,
    GregC

Provided Answers: 1
    You're barking up the wrong tree. Control the permissions on the sql server, not in access.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

ADP vs MDP Issue

My issue is not only security.. It is the MultiUser Issue. With an ADP you cannot have the file stored on a network share, and all users use that copy. Each user (as far as I can tell) must have a separate copy installed... A bit of a pain in the A$$ if you need to make updates to the ADP.

Greg C

Why work through when you can work around I always say...

How about storing a master copy on your network share, then have everyone run local adp's that check their create date against the "current" copy on the network share. If their copy is old, have it pop up a message asking them to update their copy, then exit the application.

Also, what do you mean multiple users cant use the same adp? I've never had a problem with that... I did get sick of having to boot everyone off before I could release new versions though, hence the "launch it locally" thing. Oh, you get a noticable load-time boost too.

ADP vs MDB

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 824266 Newsgroups

"The Database Will Be Opened Read-Only" error message when you open a project or an extension file in a multiuser environment

The file may be locked for editing by another user, or the file or the folder where it is located may be marked as read-only. This behavior is by design. A Microsoft Access project is strictly a client application and has no multiuser capability.

I suppose I forgot to ask, do you intend to allow users to modify the ADP itself? As in NOT the data on the SQL Server?

That error message means the code is locked, not the data.

Don't take my word for it. Try it.

ADP vs MDB

Tres Cool, thanks, nope no intention for them to modify. WHuich is why I am confused. By default I have all of the access menus disbale via Startup Options, so unless the hold the 'Shift' key while loading etc., they cannot edit. Is there anyway to suppress that error message?

Greg C
    thanks

Not that I know of.

You may also want to compile it into an .ade if you don't want anyone to have access to the code.

I also experienced problems on some platforms if the adp/e isn't explicitly tagged as read-only.

ADP vs MDB

As usual thanks to all in theses forums, specifically Teddy..

I don't believe I can create an ADE in this case because I am using Office 2k3 and the users are still Office 2k.

Many thanks

Consider this question answered.

No problem!

For the record, I compile ade's in 2k3 and run them on office xp/2k without issue PROVIDED they are tagged as read-only.