Unanswered: SQLservr.exe Taking over Computer

I have been dealing with an intermittent problem for several months that manifests itself on my computer as well as a customers computer. It is happening so often, upon booting the computer, that I just open and then minimize the Task Manager so that it will be in the Tool Tray and the bargraph will be visible.

From time to time the processor bargraph will "Max out" and when I open Task Manager and click on CPU in the Processes Tab, SQLServr.exe is using 99% of the CPU.

In Enterprise Manager I have set maximum Memory to 25% of the available system memory. I have tried this in both Fixed mode as well as Dynamic mode, no change.

I was told that there was a SQL Server version that was susceptible to a WORM that caused this. I have since upgraded to SQL ver. 8.0.194. I'm not sure of the version that I replaced, but I thought that the previous version was the one that was susceptible to the worm.

Has anyone fought this battle and if so can you offer any experience or advice?

Thanks very much for your help,
    Doc

I was told that there was a SQL Server version that was susceptible to a WORM that caused this. I have since upgraded to SQL ver. 8.0.194. I'm not sure of the version that I replaced, but I thought that the previous version was the one that was susceptible to the worm.
    .0194 is the base version of MS SQL 2000; meaning that it is the unpatched version which is vulnerable to the Slammer worm/virus.

You will need to install SQL 2000 SP3a to eliminate the vulnerability. You can go to www.microsoft.com/sql to find where to download SP3a.

From what version of MSSQL did you upgrade? What OS are you running?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

When you do this

Code:
    SELECT @@VERSION
    In Query Analyzer

Do you get the following results?

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.534 (Intel X86)
    Nov 19 2001 13:23:50
    Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation
    Standard Edition on Windows NT 4.0 (Build 1381: Service Pack 6)
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Brett,

No, I get ver 8.0.194, Aug 6, 2000. Is there something else that I should know?

HMScott,

Thank you very much. I will pursue the patch. I thought that I had installed a newer version, but it must have been a different copy of the same version.

Thanks to you both for your responses,
    Doc

There's also a patch after SP3a you need to install. They can both be found at the link Brett gave you.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.