Unanswered: Third party Replication

I am looking for recomendations for a third party host based replication software that will work on HP UX for Oracle instances.

Any ideas

Ixion IxPropagator

Check out IxPropagator (www.ixionsoftware.com)

It can be installed and configured in a matter of hours.
    It replicates data 2 to 4 times faster than anyone else.
    It is extremely reliable and requires very little "babysitting".
    It allows you to have your failover site open for read-only operations (so you can off-load reporting, for example).
    It allows for rolling upgrades.
    It minimizes your chance of data loss (no corrupt data blocks or unapplied logs to worry about, minimal reliance on shared memory).

Quest Software (USA) and DataMirror (Canada) have data replication solutions. If your disks are in a EMC storage array, take a look at SRDF.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Question

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonAA27
    I am looking for recomendations for a third party host based replication software that will work on HP UX for Oracle instances.

Any ideas

Why do you want 3rd party, rather than oralce methods?
    "Take Control!
    Make The Choice!
    Accept The Consequences!
    Deal With The Results! "

I have read that sometimes the native Oracle stuff can be a bit buggy.

Also is it a scheduled synchronization or a "real time" replication? How does it affect performance?

Oracle's replication works well from my experience. I have had problems, but they get worked out over time. Oracle's replication does slow down the system, and querying the status of replication is also slow.

Most competing products are log scrapers. When a redo log is switched, or when a new arclog is spun off, the replication software scans the log file and "replicates" the redo vectors to the other database. These do not slow down your system at the transactional level, but they can fall behind in their work, so talk to the vendor about your performance requirements.

EMC's SRDF and SRDF-A are disk block replication strategies. It's good, but confusing. You gotta keep in mind when Oracle commits on an EMC server it actually just knows the data was written to a battery powered cache (which is configurable in size, but let's say you have 64 GB high speed RAM), and we all know the data will eventually go to disk. SRDF won't tell Oracle the commit occured until it get's an OK from the second server's cache. SRDF-A is similar, but the writes are more async hence the A.

The solutions from Oracle, Quest, and DataMirror allow all servers to be utilized in read/write mode. None of them replicate memory resident objects, like sequence VALUES; they replicate the sequences just fine, so if you can configure your sequences with a cache size of zero and you don't mind an occassional skipped number, then you can use any of these solutions. EMC doesn't have this problem, of course, because the second database's CPUs are powered off and only the disk array is being written to.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm