Thread: Interesting

Unanswered: Interesting

Another tech was having the same problem with his sp which he also made into a macro. He was having the same problem as I was, he thought since he made the user the dbo owner that he woud have no problems...but since hes the one who created the db and the stored procedures when the user tried to access it he got that same error message. It went away after he went into the Enterprise manager and in the properties of the stored procedure under permission he gave the user EXEC permissions...And WAAALLLAAA problem solved

Careful....next stop Guru....

I mean it.....

My advice to you....is to drink heavily....

"I didn't know you where in Pre med? Pre med, dba, what's the difference"
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Wink Hi Brett :)

No I am no where near GURU stage lol....I gotta long ways to go before I get anywhwere Near yours and Pats level. But it was fun educating an engineer on sql, even if it was just permission, passing on what little knowledge I have.

Provided Answers: 54
    Just an observation, but...

I'm a lazy bum. I create groups (things like dealers, pit bosses, floor managers, etc) and grant permissions to the groups rather than to the users themselves. That way when you hire a new dealer, you don't have to hunt down every blasted widgit that they need permissions for, you just make their new user a member of the dealer group and... Voila, life is good!

As Brett pointed out, you are well on your way to becoming a guru (or would that be a gurette in your case??? We'll have to ask Tara). You have the right attitude and a real desire to learn, and that's all that it really takes!

Oh yeah, like Brett said... Drink heavily!

-PatP

Groups

He did create group accounts, the only thing is she is not part of the groups account. The database he created or revised, is for her only she is the only one who uses it

Once you get one thing fixed..it never stops...

feign ignorance.....or tell them to just get lost.....either way, figure out a way to get them to do their own work...

I know...get promoted....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

Yeah, I agree with Brett; either have the user put in the list or send the user on a mission, don't start adding users yourself it'll get messy soon enough.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by desireemm
    He did create group accounts, the only thing is she is not part of the groups account. The database he created or revised, is for her only she is the only one who uses it
    "It will never happen" is the IT equivilent of "I'll respect you in the morning"... It is almost always uttered with complete sincerity and absolute belief, but don't trust it as far as you can throw whoever said it!

Someday the user will go on vacation, maternity leave, get hit by a beer truck, or worse. Then you'll be on very short notice to get their replacement going using the database. Since you work in a field where record keeping is crucial (for regulatory purposes), sharing logins is a REALLY bad idea...

If you use a group, all you do is grant the next user access to the database, and make them a member of the group. When the primary user gets back on their feet, revoke the group membership, and life is good!

This is one of the cardinal rules. You can choose how you learn it, from examples or via trial by fire. You have no choice as to whether you learn it or not, that will happen regardless of what you might think!

-PatP

Thanks guys

Thanks guys I sure do appreciate all the advice. I need all I can get, since I am going to be permantely entering into the life of a dba. I'm still a little amazed at on of our IT engineers when he did his interview he told our boss that he knew how to work in sql and that he knew how to programming in sql. I asked him about that recently and he told me about a project he did on another job involving sql, he didnt remember all of the programming he did but the IF function was what he used. He asking me alot of question on how to do certain task in sql server...go figure

The IF function.....

I'm not paid enough.....
    Brett
    8-)

dbForums Member List

go figure? this guy is a cheat and a fraud! You might want to act before the guy leaves _you_ with the mess to clean up.