Unanswered: First php project..ideas?

Hey fellas, awesome site btw, just got back into php. Was fooling around with it before but now i have more time and experiance, i got a simple book and am almost complete. So far i have done file uploading, db creation, table creation, and entering data into the table as well as extracting with querys and stuff. Now heres where i would like some ideas.

Just for starters as my first php project, im in the military and i thought i would be nice to have a website where i can upload pictures into a database(dunno if thats possible) w/ an auth script so other people in my family can access the site and upload as well. then be able to search the database and display the pictures accordingly. Any ideas on how to go about this? I dont need a berbadum explanation or anything just perhaps a few ideas/links to articles that could help me accomplish this. Also any corrections in my planning that i would need to take into consideration, like the whole file into a database thing (like i said dunno if you can do that) i would appreciate any feedback you guys can give me. Thanks a bunch

- pat

Quote Originally Posted by abloveless
    Just for starters as my first php project, im in the military and i thought i would be nice to have a website where i can upload pictures into a database(dunno if thats possible) w/ an auth script so other people in my family can access the site and upload as well. then be able to search the database and display the pictures accordingly. Any ideas on how to go about this?
    - pat
    Hi Pat, It's pretty simple thing to do, at first glance. But when you get into this it quickly becomes an invloved undertaking. I have attempted to build my own and also checked out many pre-made scripts in PHP and Perl and have opted to go with pre-built. Even if you want to build-your-own you can get ideas by checking out some pre-made scripts.

Here are two very good examples, you may want to download and test these for your needs. If you use a pre-made script you will still have plenty to do with customizing the templates and options for your site.

This one uses PHP and MySQL
    http://www.4homepages.de/

This just PHP but very good at rendering thumbnails.
    http://gallery.menalto.com/

Bill
    ~

Bill

how about taking the latest version of php nuke and adding code to make it impervious to foreign SQL injections. That would be really good as it would save people a lot of time installing extra security fixes and downloading new security blocks/modules for their site.