Question Unanswered: how do i count unique values?

Hi,
    Have spent several hours scouring the internet forums for a solution with no avail! I hope someone can help!

I have a report for different companies, it lists their members information.

I.E school 1 - member id, member's monthly payment

At the end of the reports I have a count function counting the number of member id's for that school. (works fine)

I am trying to also add the number of times that zero appears in the member's monthly payment list.

I have triend things like;

count[members payment] where [members payment] = 0

and other things like this - the logic makes sense to me but my lack of experience in access means i can't write it correctly!

I hope someone can help -
    Morgan

Provided Answers: 1
    Take a slightly different approach:

=Sum(iif([members payment] = 0, 1, 0)

Logic is slightly different then using count, but then again your desired result is slightly different then count. As you've noticed, Count() does not accept criteria, so we asked it to first translate the [members payment] field into either a 1 or a 0. If it meets our criteria it's counted as 1, 0 if it doesn't. Then we sum these "translated" values to effectivly return a count of the records matching the criteria.

Make sense?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

thanks

worked great thanks!!!! getting there!

Does MS-Access support SQL's COUNT(DISTINCT fieldname) syntax? And/or provide access to this through to the query-builder GUI? I don't recall.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com