Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Snap ID for Statspack

This is a "I wonder why?" sort of question, as opposed to a "I need to know" -

I have a job that produces a snapshot every 2 hours during production hours; I would expect the Snap IDs to be sequential, and most times they are, but quite often there is a gap in the numbering. The gap is anything from 5 up to 9 numbers (e.g. 234,235,236,243,244 etc).

My question is: how is the Snap ID number allocated, and why is there sometimes a gap in the sequence? (There, an easy question to finish the week with!)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

This has not happened with my snap ids. sorry
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

I can't say from personal experence, but I suspect that they are using a sequence with caching. And as you know, when you have caching turned on, you get gaps.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Provided Answers: 1
    I was thinking it could be caching, but although the Db gets bounced every morning the sequence isn't lost then - it only gets lost during the day, and not every day. If the IDs were cached then I would expect there to be a sequence gap at least every day just after the Db is bounced.

(One to discuss round a table of drinks in the pub tonight, I think!)
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.