Question Unanswered: Access database based on other programs

Hi everybody,

I want to do an Access database based on information from two different programs. One is Peachtree a program for accounting and the other one is GoldMind an application that stores all the customer information.

Can I do it? How can I know? I don’t know if I can link tables. How do I do it?

Can somebody help me?

Thank you,

Marga
    MARGA

Provided Answers: 1
    You can't have a dynamic link between these three programs. It will not work.

You can import data from the two external programs into access and work with it from there, but you can't make thme all work together without SIGNIFICANT programming.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

What you are probably looking for is an ODBC driver. Most popular applications have an ODBC driver or two. This driver helps Access to connect to the data in the applications. Typically the drivers are written so that they are read only. Meaning, you can connect to the data, but you can't modify or add data. The reason is because the application does validation of the data when the user is entering it, and if they let anyone enter data using the ODBC driver then the data could easily be corupted. Long story short if these applications have an ODBC driver it will probably only let you view the data and report on it.

Setting up, linking and using tables with an ODBC driver is a more 'advanced' topic and if you are not familiar with it I would suggest finding a book or looking online for some help.