Unanswered: Need help speeding up my app

I have an application that has to access up to 4 databases. On my home network it works reasonably fast, probably because nobody else is using the database. But at work it is very slow. It can take up to a minute to access the data. So I am looking for ways to speed up the process. I know that there are a lot of variables associated with database access so maybe I can optimize a few of them. This is the function I use to access the database. Maybe you guys can make a few recommendations.

Function Compland(SQLQuery As String) As ADODB.Recordset

Dim Database As ADODB.Connection
    Dim Bestand As ADODB.Recordset
    Set Database = New ADODB.Connection

Database.ConnectionString = "Driver={Microsoft dBASE Driver (*.dbf)};DriverID=277;Dbq=d:\database\database.dbf ;adLockReadOnly "
    Set Bestand = New ADODB.Recordset

With Bestand
    .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    .LockType = adLockReadOnly
    .CursorType = adOpenForwardOnly
    Call Database.Open
    Set .ActiveConnection = Database
    Call .Open(SQLQuery)
    Set .ActiveConnection = Nothing
    End With
    Set Compland = Bestand

End Function

Amsterdam, Nederland

Wink Speed

The connection buildup seems ok, but i haven't got much Dbase time in me
    Here are some other things you might look at

- see what kind off db you have are the tables indexed and if yes where are they indexed
    - how big are the tables you unleach your SQL (if there are ten rows or 1 mil)
    - how is your SQL-structure (big selection, much calculations slows it down)
    - how is the connection to the network db

Tip look if you can do the following : Make Access table link to the dbase tables and run your querry there if its slow there also you have a clue where to look, Sometimes the db-guys will give you less priority on your sql because there bussy them selfs

suc6 daar -^.^-

Arizona, USA
    dBase, like Access, is a file-based database storage mechanism; the entire table structure(s) is copied over the network to the client before the query actually runs.
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert