Question Unanswered: Jpegs won't load into form

I'm trying to get some Jpegs to load into an image object on a form in MS Access 2000 and have tried setting the Picture property to the path of the JPG file.

I get a message to say that the format of file is not supported which the Microsoft site says is a result of no graphic filter loaded or there is no registered automation server.

The first point I understand and the filter jpegim32.flt IS loaded.
    The second point I do not understand.

I have tried loading the images into IE5 and they work fine. Also this was working before I had to do a software rebuild on my PC, so I'm not sure where things are going wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas ?
    Thanks,
    Clive

There is something wrong, because Microsoft accepts a .jpg file (converting it to .bmp). It is possible that the form or the frame selected is corrupted. Create a new form to test it again. Also, convert the file to .bmp using MS Paint or the MS Photo editor before opening it in the database, then link/embed and test if this works.

I've tried several forms, same result with all of them. BMPs work fine. Converting the JPGs to BMPs is not an option as I'm going to be working with thousands of images, and they have to be JPGs.

I agree that you must store the files as .JPEG. I only suggested it as a test. Only after my posting did I realize a forgotten option.

Open up the References library list under Tools in any module, and highlight the selected jpeg .dll (which you mentioned) and then click on the UP arrow on the right hand side of the display list. Move the library file towards the top as far as possible, but below the DAO reference library (if you have one). This sets a library priority. If this works, then it's fine.

If not then, . . .
    Also in the references, Disable the jpeg reference and select the Microsoft Office Library, (9,10, whichever there is in the list). This also provides conversion for JPEG files (remember that the final display is converted into a .BMP file by Access, no matter what). Also, increase the priority as far to the top as possible, and below any DAO reference, if any.

Finally, if one or the other selection don't work, select both libraries, since I have created beautiful catalogues of 100's of pictures in the past, by just using the Office library.

Please let me know the results as I am waiting anxiously for news of the baby's birth

Thanks for your support on this.

I opened up the Reference Library (never been in there before) but could not find the jpg.dll that you refered to. I did find a Microsoft Office 9.0 Object Library which I selected and moved up as high as it would go (3rd place after Visual Basic for Applications and Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library), but it did not make any difference.

I tried uninstalling Access and re-installing it but to no avail.

I tried creating a JPG in Photoshop LE and that worked fine. I thought it might have something to do with the fact that the files I'm trying to work with are Exif JPEGs which I think means they are JTIFs as oppossed to JFIFs. So I tried loading some other JPGs which I know are not Exif type JPEGS and they would not work either.

I tried downloading a converter program, Blaze ImgConvert, and converted a test file so that it appeared to be exactly the same as the JPeg I created that worked, but still no joy.

Having done a lot of work to extract Exif data from the files into a database, its looking like my project is dead in the water.

I thought it was you who mentioned something about the jpg.dll, sorry, I was wrong. What you do need to select in references is the OLE automation to be checked as well. This deals with imbedded or linked graphic files. Also, let me know what frame you are using to display the graphic picture on the form?

I tested a jpeg image from my collection and I both linked it and then embedded the picture in a graphic frame. Both methods worked instantly. I assume that is what you wish to do.

Jpegs and jpgs

This is something of a long shot, and I don't know if it will work.

First can other Office applications see jpegs, Word, Excel etc. If not then there must be a .dll missing somewhere and it might be worth reinstalling Office and selecting the repair function.

Another thing I sometimes truy, when all else fails is to go into the references section, note what's there, and dereference everything that you can (Access insists on keeping a couple of references (Visual Basic for Applications being one). Restart Access and rereference any library that you know you will need - check to see if you can see jpegs then.

After that I'm almost out of ideas. What's the extension of the files jpeg or jpg? I've an idea that Access doesn't like jpeg bt is happy with jpg, but that might just be '97.

It may even be that the problem is in Windows itself (if another application has altered the behaviour of windows to jpeg giles) , but then we're almost into changing the registry settings and that's well beyond the scope of this posting!

Hope that's been of some help - good luck!

I tried turning on the OLE automation in the References section but it made no difference.

I cannot try Word or Excel as I don't have them, I brought Access as a stand alone application, but I have managed to get the images to open in Internet explorer. I'm running office XP under Windows 98 just to make things interesting, (that came about because I brought a PDA which has Outlook 2002 and which needs Office XP).

I was trying to get the image into an Image frame.

I have just tried changing this to an unbound object frame and selected Microsoft Photo Editor 3 and then linked to one of the images and it worked !
    Yippee I thought, only problem is I cannot change the image using visual basic.

Access definitely won't accept .jpeg files, but it would give a different error message than you're getting.

I don't think IE's behaviour is any clue as it handles images slightly differently.

I remember having some problem with .jpg files ages ago. They were downloads from a digital camera and, to cut a long story short, I had to convert them to .jgs(!) using Paint Shop Pro before Access would recognize them.

Again it's a long shot, but possibly that is your problem. It might be worth taking ne image, use PSP and convert it to .bmp, then convert the .bmp file back to .jpg just to test this out, if that doesn't work then I've run out of ideas (for now).

I've done some further testing and have estabilished that any jpg I create in Photoshop will work. Any bmp file which was created by my Nikon film scanner and is then converted to jpg will work. Any jpg image I have downloaded from the net will work.

The jpgs from my Canon Digital Camera and jpg scans from my Canon flatbed scanner will not work.

According to the MS website the jpegim32.flt graphics filter will not handle exif type jpgs i.e. jfif as oppossed to jtif. I know the Camera files are exit but did'nt know the flatbed scanner ones were, but must assume that is the case. (I'll do some tests later).

Looks like that is it until MS update the jpegim32.flt filter to work with exifs.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.