Unanswered: About Uninstalling DB2.

Hi all:
    In my development machine I have DB2 ESE V.8.1 FP4a.
    My question is, if I uninstall it and reinstall it, will I lose my DB's that
    I created on it.?.
    My env.
    - Windows 2000 Pro
    - DB2 ESE V.8.1 FP4a.

Any idea....?
    Thanks in advance.

DB2 should not delete the database directories when you uninstall, however, you would need to re-catalog the database after you reinstall. The safest and easiest way would be to take an offline backup, and then restore it after the re-install.

Make sure you maintain the full directory path of the backup (required on Windows only) so the restore will work correctly. Use the Command Center to recreate the restore script (without submitting it) right after the backup (before you uninstall DB2).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Question

Hi Marcus:

Thanks for your soon answer...
    The fact is that I want to uninstall and then reinstall because I can't open any
    DB2 Tool nor App. So I can't perform a backup. My questions are:
    1) If I uninstall and then reinstall (without having a recent backup) will I lose all my DB's?
    2) Is there any way to recover my DB (specially one) after a reinstall?

Any tip/answer/guide.?

Thanks in advance.

Check out the Command Reference manual and do a backup from the DB2 Command Window (GUI tools not required). You can verify the backup with the db2ckbkp command. As previously mentioned, you must maintain the full directory path of the backup (DB2 for Windows only).

But to answer your question, the databases should not disappear with a un-install, but you will have to manually catalog it after the new install (it will not automatically appear).

You might just try to intall the latest fixpack (FP6) on top of code you have before you try a un-install.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

OK Marcus:
    I am going to try "command mode" backup and, no matter the result of it, I am going to install and reinstall looking for recatalog de DB again.
    Thanks.