Exclamation Unanswered: How to repair Access 97 record corruptioin

Howdy,

We've got an old Access 97 database at work.

Background:
    The form layout isn't pretty, but it does it's job. Occasionally, we experience record corruption where Access tells us "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time."

I've figured out that this error is generated when a user opens two different forms and works on the same record with both forms. Apparently, Access considers each form a "user". Now that I've determined the cause of the problem, we will tweak the form design so that all changes can be made on one form, reducing the likelihood that a user will use two forms at the same time.

Our only method of dealing with the problem in the past has been to delete the record. I prefer to find a method to repair the record, but have yet to figure out how.

My question:
    How can I edit the record to correct the problem, once it has occurred?

Even after closing down Access and reloading the database exclusively, the error is displayed whenever that record is touched...even in table view.

Thanks in advance,

B.
    Last edited by digibri; 08-30-04 at 13:53.

Have you tried trapping the error and taking the corrective action? In your case, sounds like delete the record on trapping it.

I have a feeling your problem is caused by something else - namely, a Memo field that has lost its pointer to its parent record. This used to happen regularly with Access 97 and generates the exact error you are getting.

Check your data to see if you have any Memo fields in the table(s) behind your form. If you have, then that is almost certainly the problem.
    Good news - Microsoft released a fix for this which is incorporated in their compact/repair utility called JetComp.exe

I am not sure if you can still download this from MS but if not I am sure you can Google on it. You want the version for Jet 3.0 / 3.5.

When you compact the database using this utility you will find that the problem goes away. Usually it stays fixed, but occasionally you may have to repeat the process.

I hope this helps and I'd be interested in knowing if I was right!!
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

Smile

Andy,

That utility is EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your answer.

It's funny, but though I was convinced that there had to be some sort of utility out there, I could not find anything via search on Microsoft's web site. I guess you just gotta know what to look for.

Thanks again!

B.

I am so glad I was able to help and good luck with everything.

You are welcome to mail me if you run into any further problems.

All the best.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com