Unanswered: I can't start Informix

Hello,

I installed IDS and Client SDK on a Linux machine. After that I have define correctly the environment variables INFORMIXDIR, INFORMIXSERVER, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PATH. The files onconfig and sqlhosts are also Ok (I think so).

But when I want to initialize a database using the command oninit -vi, everything runs succesfully till the line:

Initializing ASF

at this point I get the shell prompt again and the db isn't started. How can I do?

Best Regards

Alfredo

Hi Alfredo,

ASF problems normally occur when you have setup the wrong communication settings. The most probable reason is the sqlhost file or the NETTYPE onconfig parameter. Either they don't match or you have specified an incorrect protocol. A common problem is that people set-up TLI (with ontlitcp) while Linux is using sockets (onsoctcp). If this doesn't help please post your sqlhosts file and your onconfig.

Hope this helps,

Rob Prop

post the output of
    oninit -v
    sqlhosts file entries.
    /etc/services file entries.

-Abraham

Hi Alfredo,

If you SO is Linux, please do upgrade of glibc.

Gustavo.

onconfig, sqlhosts, services, oninit -v

Hello,

many thanks to all. I post the files you suggest.

Hi Gurey. Yes, my SO is Linux and my glibc is the 2.2.5-164. Should I actualize it?

Best Regards

Alfredo
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi,

Yes, Up to 2.2.5-165 or highest.

Gustavo.

Hi,

From the files you sent, it seems that you've missed the DBSERVERNAME parameter:

- Double check that the IFX server name you're using in the sqlhosts file exists in the onconfig file (DBSERVERNAME or DBSERVERALIAS).
    - Double check that the host name you're using exists in /etc/hosts.
    - I've seen that the service name you're using exists in /etc/services. Double check it anyway.

And next time pls. send the last lines on the online.log file (or the file you've used according to MSGFILE parameter).

Hope it helps.
    José Luis Matute.

Regards from Spain.

Hi,
    The onconfig.txt file is the default. You should do a copy of the onconfig.std and customizing that copy, should change the values of DBSERVERNAME, DBSERVERALIAS, NUMAIOVP, etc.
    I agree with Matute.

Gustavo.

Problem is always there

Hello,

i tested everything you say and unfortunately the problem continues. I check all the values again and the problem is still there. The last lines from the file online.log are:
    --------------------------
    Mon Sep 6 14:37:39 2004

14:37:39 Event alarms enabled. ALARMPROG = '/opt/informix/etc/log_full.sh'
    14:37:39 Assert Failed: net_init.c, line 319, thread 1, errno=13, error in creating /INFORMIXTMP.
    14:37:39 Informix Dynamic Server Version 9.30.UC2E3
    14:37:39 Who: Session(0, @, 0, 0)
    Thread(1, main_thread, 0, 1)
    File: neterrb.c Line: 658
    14:37:39 stack trace for pid 1131 written to /tmp/af.3e95a13
    14:37:39 See Also: /tmp/af.3e95a13, shmem.3e95a13.0
    14:37:40 neterrb.c, line 658, thread 1, proc id 1131, net_init.c, line 319, thread 1, errno=13, error in creating /INFORMIXTMP..
    14:37:41 PANIC: Attempting to bring system down
    --------------------------
    The system date on the server is not correct, should be Thu Sep 9, but is not important.

Please help !!! What can I do now?

Best Regards

Alfredo

Hi,

From the system error (13) it seems it's trying to create/access some files during initialization, and the permission isn't right. It could also be a problem during installation: as far as the oninit process sould have permissions 6755 (notice the set-owner-id and the set-group-id bits) and be owned by root, there should be no problem creating any file. Have you branded the product, runing the RUN_AS_ROOT.xx script? Also check the informix product directories permissions and the chunk persmissions.

If the problem continues and the log states about an af file, send the first lines.

Another point: have you set the ONCONFIG env. variable (it should be your onconfig file name, without the path).

Keep trying,
    José Luis Matute.

Regards from Spain.

Now problem with chunk

Hello,

Thank you very much Matute. I change the owner and rights for oninit and the command oninit -iv comes through. Now I get a problem with the chunk. Excuse me, but I'm not Linux Administrator. I have define as ROOTPATH the path /dev/online_root and this is the chunk for the root dbspace, I think. I get the following error messages:

oninit: Cannot open chunk '/dev/online_root'. errno = 2
    oninit: Fatal error in shared memory initialization

What should be /dev/online_root? A directory or a file? Which permission should it have? What should I do in a Linux level to create this chunk? Please, if you can, tell me exactly the required commands to do this.

Best Regards

Alfredo

Pdta: I see you come from Spain. I speek also español, I live in Germany but I come from Southamerica.

make sure the chunk in user group informix and the permisions are correct

chown informix:informix chunk_name
    and the permision is 660

chmod 660 chunk_name

Cheers

Artem

Now works

Hello,

many thanks for all your tips. My Database Server runs now without problem !!!

Best Regards

Alfredo