Unanswered: CountyLong Name and County Short Name

Hello, i have database front end is Access, and backend is sql server. The front end, there are two dropbox, called 'CountyLongName', and 'CountyShortName'. I want to: when i select a countyLongName, there it will pop up the exact CountyShortName in anohter field.

For example, when i click Howard Couty in the 'CountyLongNmae', it will automatically display "HW" in the 'CountyShortName" Field. How can i do that? Thanks.

More of an Access question than an SQL question. Also, more of a front-end question than a db question.

That said, the drop-down list has an event called OnChange. In the code for that event, will be something like:

Code:
    text1.Value = lkpCountyShortName.Column(1)
    You must define the query for the lkpCountyShortName to include 2 columns, the first being the short name and the second being the long name.

Regards,

hmscott

Quote Originally Posted by yyu
    Hello, i have database front end is Access, and backend is sql server. The front end, there are two dropbox, called 'CountyLongName', and 'CountyShortName'. I want to: when i select a countyLongName, there it will pop up the exact CountyShortName in anohter field.

For example, when i click Howard Couty in the 'CountyLongNmae', it will automatically display "HW" in the 'CountyShortName" Field. How can i do that? Thanks.
    Have you hugged your backup today?

I usually Dim an array that contains the CountyShortName and populate it in the same loop where I populate the drop-down list. This way the subscript value for each combobox element is the same as the array subscript.

txtShortName.Text = ShortNames_A(cmbLongNames.ListIndex)
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

Thanks your guy still remembered me. Last time the backup problem made me crazy. Fortunately everything was recovered.
    Do you have any code I can reference,thanks in advance. I am not familar with VBA. I have counties,

Allegany AL
    Anne Arundel AA
    Baltimore City BC
    Baltimore County BA
    Calvert CV
    Caroline CA
    Carroll CR
    Cecil CE
    Charles CH
    Dorchester DO
    Frederick FR
    Garrett GA
    Harford HA
    Howard HO
    Kent KE
    Montgomery MO
    Prince George PG
    Queen Anne QA
    Saint Mary SM
    Somerset SO
    Talbot TA
    Washington WA
    Wicomico WI
    Worcester -- WO

Make the Datasource look like

SELECT CountyLongName + ' - ' + CountyShortName FROM yourTable

?????????????
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I am so sorry, i am still can't figure out how to do it. Can you guy give me more detail. Now i already have a file call "CountyLongName" and CountyShortName". Thanks again!