Unanswered: How much is the SQL Server?

I did I search on google.com for a price but no luck on it.

Thanks in advance,

Don

A full blown developer enterprise edition is a mere $49.00.

Production licences are by seat or by cpu...in ether case it's in the thousands...

what was it last....15k per cpu?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

MSDE is free
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 11
    The price of SQL Server depends on what you want to use it for, and how far behind your Microsoft representative is on his boat payments.

MSDE is free, but it comes with a few limitations (like no database over 2Gb). The Developer Edition is cheap, but only allows a few connections to it. If you want to run your 15Gb data warehouse serving 200 people, then you will probably want to spend a little more money on features. Here is a page with numbers on it:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.asp

What is the difference between "Server plus device CALs" and "Server plus user CALs"? I have read it a couple of times and still haven't grasp the idea of what each of it suppose to do. btw, thanks for the help. I really apprecticated.

Here what I'm suppose to be doing. Setting up a SQL server at my work place. There are 8 facilities that has a program we install on the client computers. The client computer will send the data to the SQL Server onces they are done with whatever they are doing on the software on the client side.

In that case, would I just need "Licensing Model: Processor License"? if so, what is the difference between enterprise edition and standard edition?
    Last edited by lansing; 09-02-04 at 11:23.

anyone have an answer for this?

Use the CAL licensing model for eight users
    The break-even point on processoer licensing is around 75 users, meaning that per-processor licensing is cheaper than CAL licensing when you have over 75 users per CPU. This is assuming Standard Edition.

If this application is not internally developed and being sold by a vendor, the vendor can also sell you a ISV license for SQL Server that will be cheaper.

Standard Edition CAL licensing (retail price) = $1,489 with 5 CAL's
    Standard Edition Processor license (retail) = $4,999