Unanswered: Migration and Materialized Views

I have a linux server running Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 (ServerA) that has a number of Materialized Views that are referencing tables on an Oracle 7.3.4 database(ServerB). The 8.1.7(serverA) database has a number of DBlink's to the 7.3.4 database (one for each of the applications schemas). We are going to upgrade the 7.3.4 database to an 8.1.7 database. This is not being done by upgrading the existing machine. We built a new server and are using the application's data migration tool to move the applications data. The new database will contain all the same schemas and tables and schema passwords. What do I need to do. Will the materialized
    view log's be created automatically on the new serverB when the view refresh is done on SERVERA? The new serverb will have the same instance name and be at the same IP address as the old serverb. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    > What do I need to do?
    Any DBA worth his/her salt will actually test the whole procedure before getting close to the production environment.
    It matters little what you are told here, it only matters what happens in your own environment.
    So what you need to do is test, test, test before touching the production environment.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent
    > What do I need to do?
    Any DBA worth his/her salt will actually test the whole procedure before getting close to the production environment.
    It matters little what you are told here, it only matters what happens in your own environment.
    So what you need to do is test, test, test before touching the production environment.
    I agree and I am in the process of getting a test linux server setup for that very purpose, however I was looking for any information from users that have gone through the same thing. Since I started this thread, I have created the materialized view logs on the new production server, But I still need to know what (if anything) will happen when I replace the old 7.3.4 server with the new 8.1.7 server. All my MV's are setup with fast refresh, After I replace production server, should I force a full refresh on the remote servers so that they refresh from the new production server? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 09-01-04 at 10:12.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.