Exclamation Unanswered: Oracle 9i Database/Developer Suite Problems

I installed Oracle 9i Database and the Developer Suite in Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2) and I'm having several problems. First of all, I was having a problem with the Apache error log file filling up my hard drive, but I fixed that by commenting out the line [include "\oracle\ora92\sqlplus\admin\isqlplus.conf"] in the \oracle\ora92\Apache\Apache\conf\oracle_apache.con f file. I'm not sure exactly what this does, or what caused the problem in the first place, so I don't know if this would lead to my other problems or not....

The problems I'm having now are as follows:

I couldn't get the Developer Suite to connect to the Database (I created a general purpose db) and I figured out that I didn't have a tnslistener.ora file or a tnsnames.ora file. So, I configured a tnslistener file but when I try to configure a tnsnames file, using the Net configuration assistant, I get an error that either says the listener can't resolve the host name or that the login/password is incorrect and then the listener crashes every time.
    Another problem is that my database configuration assistant won't open. I used it to create the general purpose database, but now it won't do anything when I select it from the programs menu.

A few additional questions I have are:

Do I have to configure a listener file and a tnsnames file for both the database and the developer suite?
    Why weren't these files created when I installed the software?
    What other steps do I need to go through in order to get these programs functioning properly?

Oracle 9i is not supported / certified with Windows XP/Home Ed.

try the professional version instead or better go for Linux

The CD says it's for XP.....I can't just up and change my operating system.

XP - XP-Professional. Not XP-Home !

The following is directly from oracle's metalink

Critical Notes For Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition
    General Notes For Oracle Database - Enterprise Edition On Microsoft Windows XP:
    Server Editions:
    32-bit Windows XP has 2 editions/versions, Professional and Home. Oracle will ONLY certify on Professional.
    64-bit Windows XP 2003 is supported with a 64-bit Oracle database, not 32-bit.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Well I guess I'm screwed then, because even if I install Linux on a partition or something like that, I don't have the Linux version of Oracle. And I'm definitely not buying XP Professional.

you can deploy 9i on nearly any lunux version as far as the Kernel is matching

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.html

So you're saying that I can install Oracle for XP on Linux?

No,
    Download the Linux version for Free. As long as you do NOT use if for commercial purposes, you don't have to pay. However, you will also NOT get support except through the various user supported communities. Download at

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof...10g/index.html

If you don't have a login at otn.oracle.com yet, you can get a free login by registering.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 09-02-04 at 12:05.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Alright, I might just have to give this a try.

I appreciate the help.

Wait, what about the developer suite? Where do I get that for Linux? Is it free also?

Nevermind, I think I found it.