Unanswered: Please help me with the basics!

Help!!! I have no knowledge of Perl bu I received a script with extention .pl. Therefore I downloaded ActivePerl-5.6.1.633-MSWin32-x86.msi which seems to work.
    If I run this program I get a dos like screen... but what to do next? How can I run the script? How can I get to a directory?

Please provide me some help to get started.

Thanks very much in advance!

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    I am not a Perl expert myself, but do you have any idea what the script is supposed to do? Who sent you the script? Can you ask them what it should do?
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".

Quote Originally Posted by Brussels Bob
    Help!!! I have no knowledge of Perl bu I received a script with extention .pl. Therefore I downloaded ActivePerl-5.6.1.633-MSWin32-x86.msi which seems to work.
    If I run this program I get a dos like screen... but what to do next? How can I run the script? How can I get to a directory?

Please provide me some help to get started.

Thanks very much in advance!
    Open it in Notepad and see if there are any source comments you can read. Ask the person what the hell it's supposed to do and how you're supposed to use it.

Perl is an interpreted language.

So the script can be edited in the text editor of your choice (DzSoft Perl Editor is fine). But notepad can make it well.

To run the script, open a command prompt. Go to the folder where your script is. And run the command:
    Code:
    perl -w script_name.pl
    The -w option is to print the warnings. You can omit it.

Hope this help you.