Thread: Excel log file

Unanswered: Excel log file

Greetings,
    Using Excel XP I've designed a report and shared it over the network. I have three departments about 10 - 15 users in each department. The problem I'm having is that once they enter data, save it and exit, a log file is created and I've to go to each user’s folder and delete it manually. Please let me know if I can attach the work book if you want to see what I mean.

Thanks,
    OCM

Sure, attach it. Someone will take a look. But you may want to include a few more details about what you are trying to do.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Temp file problem

Hi,
    I'm using Excel 2000 and created a report for 12 plus users to share over the network (please see attached report). Once I get the total for each user for a given month, I also want to combine all users' total for the department for that month, and a total for the quarter and for the year. I also get error and a lot of temp file created after user saved their work (please see attached report).

Thanks in advance for your help!

OCM
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello OCM,

I took a look at your attached sample. If you are using the workbook for multi-user access then you should consider using the "Shared Workbook" feature, if thats not how your doing it? With the shared workbook setting more than one person can open and edit a workbook. You'll see "Share Workbook..." under the 'Tools' menu.

With the number of users and worksheets you have in the sample workbook you are bound to run into problems with your format. (1). because the size is going to get very large (2). with 14 users you will have conflicts often. You may think about creating a form and saving it as a template. Then have your users open the template fill out the report, and save it with a unique name in a designated location on your server. Then you make a process to open any new reports and aggragate the data into a list format in another workbook which also contains your summary report, that only you open and maintain. You may find you need to write some VB script to automate the collection of the data.

MS Access is another alternative that would be a good option with the type of data and number of users in your group.
    ~

Bill