Unanswered: Accidently deleted 1 week records.

Just want to confirmation from the ppl that know access well. Is there any way that i can get back the records that i had deleted? given that there are no backup copy.

There is no way to reclaim data once it's been deleted.
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

Deleteing Records

Afraid the Grand Poobah is right, unless Access was running on a network drive and the administrator makes nughtly backups.

My ex-manager once deleted about 500 records from SQL Server, but all was not lost. She just blamed it on me....

there is no recovery for an Access-deleted record (this is probably not 100% true if the data is worth a few million bucks and you attack the disk at the hardware level, but for us simple folk, deleted data is gone).

on the face of it, this is another example of strange design-decisions from Mr. Gates: many earlier DBMS (e.g. dBase2) simply set a system "deleted" flag but left the record intact until a "compact" operation. access still requires a compact operation to "recover" the space used by a deleted record, but access helpfully goes the extra mile to trash the deleted data as well.

you can eliminate the problem in future with a (rather major) rewrite.

try unbound forms, no Access menus, and your own code behind all delete buttons (amongst your choices: setting an isDeleted (y/n) flag in the table(s) or moving deleted records to archive tables).

although it's a minor pain the in A$$ to code, the only safe data lives in a database where even the most vindictive user (or most stupid boss!) cannot kill the data. in general i find that bosses are the most dangerous: in my dbs they get read-only access - it makes them feel useful but they can't break anything.

paranoid-think dictates that if you work with valuable data, you must plan for the five minutes between someone getting fired and their password getting pulled. remove all native-Access access to the data: no user queries; no bound forms; nothing available for table/query view; no user-created code allowed; no Access menus; etc.

other routes are more expensive: hire (and never fire) only smart people (even bosses); and make a full backup every two minutes in a huge rotating backup scheme.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Stupid Bosses

Enjoyed your reply izzy - you're absolutely right about the hard drive, but for most of us that probably isn't practical.

[QUOTE]... the most vindictive user (or most stupid boss!) ..[\QUOTE]

My boss was working at the table level - she did that a lot, and, as far as I understand, she wrote a query to update the records that got deleted. Not sure how she got that to be a delete query, but it apparantly wasn't the first or the last time it happened. (The next occasion she blamed someone in a different building, who unbeknown to her had sneaked off the day it happened!)

I did come up with one idea to reduce the damage that we can cause ourselves.

I close my databases with a button. I attached an even to this, which give the option to back the data up to a different database (there's a bit of code and a couple of queries associated with this). That way if I accidentally delete all my data I can recover from a backup on a different drive. Not perfect, but it helps.