Angry Unanswered: Help with field validation

HI

I have a problem in FileMaker 6. I have a field that uses a Popup-list for selecting an option. When an option is selected, I want to update another field depending upon the option selected.

Eg: Field is Status
    Options available for selecting are Open Close Cancelled from the Popup List..

If user selects Cancelled, I want the amount field to change to zero but in other options I want the user to be able to enter an amount in the amount field manually.

I tried to use amount as a Calculation field, but then it does not let me modify the field.

I also tried to put a button on top of the Status field, then it would not show me the popup list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

I think you are close...

If you use the pop-up as described, you can use a calc field to show the total, but underneath the 'calc' field you will need a 'normal' number field. You will need to set a button on the calc field that will go to field <<new field>> and that will bring the 'hidden field' into the foreground.

The calc would be something like:
    if (popup="cancelled",0,<<new field>>)

Hope this helps...

Joe
    ----

Joe King
    FileMaker Developer's Network
    joe@fmdevelopersnetwork.com

If I put a button on the Calc Field, then I would have to click on the Calc field to activate the hidden field,,,, Right ?