Thread: Transactions

Unanswered: Transactions

Is there a point to wrapping a single UPDATE or INSERT statement in an explicit TRANSACTION:

Code:
    BEGIN TRANSACTION

INSERT INTO Table (...) VALUES (...)

COMMIT TRANSACTION
    I understand ACID and concept of transactions. However, I thought they were only necessary for multi-statement operations. I'm maintaining code that does this and am wondering if this is necessary. Does SQL Server guarantee ACID for single statements? Are single UPDATE/INSERT statements prone to race condition like affects without using explicit transactions?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerWilco
    Are single UPDATE/INSERT statements prone to race condition like affects without using explicit transactions?
    Found the answer to my question; No they aren't. SQL Server creates implicit transactions around single statements.

Autocommit mode is the default transaction management mode of the Microsoft® SQL Server Database Engine. Every Transact-SQL statement is committed or rolled back when it completes. If a statement completes successfully, it is committed; if it encounters any error, it is rolled back. A connection to an instance of the Database Engine operates in autocommit mode whenever this default mode has not been overridden by either explicit or implicit transactions. Autocommit mode is also the default mode for ADO, OLE DB, ODBC, and DB-Library.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."