Cool Unanswered: Access crashes when copying table cells

Hi,

I'm using Access 2002 running under Windows XP.

When I highlight and copy cells within an Access table, the database crashes - but only when I copy certain columns. No specific error message comes up:

"Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't know if it means anything in particular but in the Error Report the Exeption Information has the Code:
    0x000009a8

'Interestingly', it always seems to crash when copying Yes/No tick fields. Are these particularly susceptible to screwing up?

Cheers,
    Alski

This is most likely more of a System problem rather than as Access problem. Just for the heck of it, make sure you have enough HD space for your XP pagefile (Vertual memory dump).

I'm not sure it's a memory problem - my paging file (virtual memory) is just under a GB.

I just wonder why it would choose to crash when I copy the Yes/No tick fields - seems odd.

Provided Answers: 1
    Try to copy all your Objects (Tables, Forms, Queries, Modules, .... ) to a new .mdb file and start your application

Hi,
    I did try that but the same error pops up.

What I need to do is copy cells from the Table and place them into an Excel spreadsheet. The workaround I found was to copy the entire Table (rather than just the rows or cells) - and paste this to an Excel sheet. This isn't the best solution for me as every cell is copied when I only want a few, but it works for now.

The original problem still exists though; copying cells containing the Yes/No tick boxes causes the program to crash.

Alski,

I agree it's probably a system or component problem. How are your programming and/or Excel skills? Are you expecting to do this operation often? Here are a couple of things you might try:

1. Create a link from Excel into the Access table. Then you won't have to paste the data and in the query, pivot table data or linked-table in Excel you can filter out what you want or don't want.

2. Use VBA to open Excel via automation (or open Access via automation from the Excel VBA side) and use the copy-recordset command in Excel to put the data wherever you want it.

3. Use VBA automation as before to loop through a range of cells and insert the values into each cell.

I've been doing a lot of Excel-Access data manipulation in the last few projects. It's amazing the simple things that will cause a crash. Just for the heck of it, you might want to test pasting smaller recordsets or limiting the fields used during the paste operation until you identify the actual records or fields that cause the crash to occur.

I had a couple of projects that crashed during the paste operation due to incompatible field types (such as date fields with non-date entries) as well as null values in fields.

BTW the Office XP suite was not particularly stable for certain features and tended to crash a lot on my projects for no apparent reason. I decided, for those customers who used XP, to simply workaround the sensitive features (as you have found out).

Joe G

Hey Joe,

I went for Option 1 and the Excel-Access link which is a good workaround (I'd forgotten they could be linked!)

It's the only bug I've spotted so far but I'm sure I'll find a few more as I work on it

Cheers,
    Alski