Unanswered: Database on Server

Good day everyone:

I'm building a database for a company that wants the database centrally located on a local server. If I put the whole database on the server (the entire MDB file), whenever they try to run it from a computer, will the entire database be downloaded to the client computer? Or will it only load the startup forms and such at execution and then load records only as they're asked for, i.e. from queries?

As you can imagine, this is a serious matter to consider. Do you have any suggestions on other ways to do this? For example, splitting the database into the front database (forms, queries, etc.) and the back database (tables). Your opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    DocX

The teachings of God's Begotten: 2 John 1:9

[DocX]If I put the whole database on the server (the entire MDB file), whenever they try to run it from a computer, will the entire database be downloaded to the client computer? Or will it only load the startup forms and such at execution and then load records only as they're asked for, i.e. from queries?

Typically Access just loads the records 'as needed' to the client machine. Records are locked while being edited in a multi-user configuration, once saved it is refreshed to other users/clients who may be viewing it.

[DocX] As you can imagine, this is a serious matter to consider. Do you have any suggestions on other ways to do this? For example, splitting the database into the front database (forms, queries, etc.) and the back database (tables).

It is almost always a good idea to split a database for Front-end, (User Interface) and Back-end, (Data) especially for multi-user or distributed applications. Some of the ways to set-up:
    • 1. Frontend and Backend on Server.
      This may not scale well with lots of users. - may be slower response of interface from the network. + You can maintain (1) production copy for all users.
    • 2. Frontend on Each client PC, Backend on Server
      This is the most typical setup. Has faster response of frontend commands on user PC. - You will have to distribute updates to any users.
    • 3. Frontend as Access Run Time application on Client PC, Backend on Server.
      Variation of above. + users do not require the full Access Application to use the database. + Provides some added security, users do not have tools to jack with the data, - more work required to setup for Crash Free operation.
    ~

Bill

Server Based Access

Totaly agree with the last posting.

A a matter of course I always split the front and back end of an Access database now. I have found from experience that on the rare occasion that a database corrupts it is almost always the application part (forms, reports, code) that causes the problem. By separating the tables you give some protection from that, and let's face it the data in those tables is the most important part of the database.