Unanswered: Splitting database application that has a form that generates automatic numbers!

Hi there

I was just wandering I have an application that I need to split the db into front and backend .

I was just wandering if there would be a problem or is there anything I need to know or be aware of . I mean, I have a main form that generates automatic trans number , now if I put a copy of the frontend on different machines which would include the form and each user (only 2 users )needs to make a transaction at the same time, would there be a problem?

or am I missing something

Can anyone help pls?

Many Thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    How does the form generate this number? Is there a reason you're not using autonumber at the table level?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

re 'Splitting database application that has a form that generates automatic numbers!'

Hi Teddy

Thanks for ur reply. The number is partially generated at the table level but with a NZ formula at the form level on the text box to increment the number.

This is bcos I need a particular sequence for the transaction.

just to make things clearer
    How I intend to distribute the data I am going to put a copy each of the frontend on 2 pcs and a copy of the backend and frontend on another pc with acts as the server.

Many Thanks for ur reply in advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    I would consider "reserving" your record. When the form opens, create a new record and save it immediately. Then when your user begins editting data, update the record that was just created. In this way, you will never have a key conflict with other users.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

'Splitting database application that has a form that generates automatic numbers!'

Hi Teddy

Thanks for the reply to my message.

To interprete what u are saying if user A opens up the form to do a new transaction and also user b also opens up there own version on there pc to do another transaction at the same time.....u are suggesting that user A saves there form before proceeding with their transacton ....so that user B does not have access to that number when they open up their own form?

is this what u mean by the word reserving?

Many Thanks for ur reply in advance.