Unanswered: Other programs that accept Access

Probably a daft if not already answered/impossible to answer question...

does anyone know of a list of 3rd party programs that "interface" with Access if that is the right word?

I use mailmerge in Word to access the data in my db and have Catalog outputs.

Word is a bit limited so wanted to know of any other progs that would allow mailmerge and work well with Access.

Thanks very much for your help
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Pick your programming language ... Pick your scripting language ... For that matter pick whatever you want and if it can at least pull from an ODBC driver then you are good ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I don't know of a list, but Access can work with any ODBC (Open DataBase Connection) database. One way to check is to go into an Access database, go to the "Tables" tab, and try to import tables. You'll get a list of choices of data sources Access can use, including Excel, dBase, FoxPro, text files, etc.

"Word is a bit limited so wanted to know of any other progs that would allow mailmerge and work well with Access."

Word and Access are very powerful! Don't miscount this power. If you are looking at Word from strictly using the built-in mailmerge wizard, you're right. But underneath is the ability to automate the data between Access and Word.

Word, is essentially a totally customizable print engine - think of it as an extension of Access reports.

In addition, you can, with programming, totally manipulate all the mail merge, print, formatting and data retrieval features inside Word. And, with the ability of Word to use customized, saved templates, insertable document fields, and hidden document variables, you have multiple methods to get your catalogs to the printer.

Now there is a cost to doing this - to go beyond running the mail merge wizard does take some programming skills, design time and experimentation.

But I just want to get the point across that Word can do the job. IMHO

Thanks Joe for the info.

I agree Word and Access is very powerful to those with the relevant nonce but as a humble PC user with little/no programming skills I can't figure out how to harness those powers!!

What I ideally want is a program that interfaces with Word and with wysiwyg functionality to allow me to mailmerge Access data and then output as a catalog saving each record individually rather than as a mass catalog that then has to be edited and saved as individual files.

Making any sense? Hope so and if you have any pointers they would as ever be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

David
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Not sure I understand the whole picture. Could you be more specific. I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Tell me more about the catalog - how it works and looks. And tell me what you mean by saving records individually.

If you want, you can send me a private message. Thanks.

Joe G