Thread: Ingres users

Unanswered: Ingres users

Hi, bit of a stupid question this, but maybe someone can help.

I am a technician looking after a microsoft network, the majority of which being 2000 and xp clients. They all connect to our ingres server individually using their login details. My problem is that when they login to another machine they lose the connection details and a vnode has to be re-created using the gui utilities offered by Ingres.

So, basically I need to know if there is a way to setup an ingres user account from a command line, or through some sort of script?

Sorry if this is a common question, seemed to have trouble getting the search terms right to find anything helpful regarding this...

Many thanks!

Michael

They are probably losing the vnode because the user they are changing to isn't allowed to see the data files containing the definition. Try looking for where that file is and pointing everyone on that PC to the same one.
    Rob Feehan
    Sr. Database Administrator
    DST Output

the who what now?

like i said, my grasp on this is a bit simple... or rather i am a bit simple... the way i figured it was that on windows nt upwards, the vnode settings would be profile specific, hence me having to create or update the settings for each user...

Thanks for the input man, if the definitions thing is the answer, could you be more specific as to where and what they are?

Thanks!

I will take a look today and see if I can locate the files you need. Make sure the vnodes are defined as allowing any user on that PC to see them. If that doesn't work you can email me at rjfeehan @ dstoutout.com and I will see if I can help further.
    Last edited by rfeehan; 09-15-04 at 10:31.
    Rob Feehan
    Sr. Database Administrator
    DST Output

Talking Ingres/Net Config.

The other way around this problem may be to use a global vnode definition on every pc and have the username as IIPROMPTALL or IIPROMPT1. (These should be documented somewhere - there is probably an underscore in there too.)
    This will prompt the user when they try to make the connection, rather than storing the users username and password in the vnode definition.

I believe the vnode definitions are stored in the ingres/files/name directory where you have installed ingres. Therefore not part of the users "roaming profile"

Cheers

I aggree with Stuarts.

Your problem will be solved by making the Vnode Global and login to IIPROMPTALL.

And also, you must always use IIPROMPTALL for SECURITY reason.