Thread: MS SQL Backup

Unanswered: MS SQL Backup

I'm trying to backup a database in MS SQL 7. I want to backup to a network directory. I'm running into problems when I give the path to a network directory. MS SQL tells me it is not a valid path. Then if I try to browes to the directory i want it does not see any of the networked drives.

Why does MS SQL only see local drives?

Has anyone delt with this problem before? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Animaul

Yeah, its pretty annoying isn't it. Fortunately there is a solution. In Enterprise Manager under the Management folder there is a icon call backup. This is really a backup device (like a hard drive or network share). Just right click on the backup icon and choose new backup device. Give the device a name and for the file name type in the network path something like:
    \\ServerName\foldername\filename.bck, you will probably get a warning that sql can't verify the path & filename but thats ok.

Then when you go to create the backup choose add and then pick the new backup device you just created from the dropdown list.

later,
    mkal

Thanks

Thanks! That was a huge help.

Animaul