Unanswered: optomizing for speed

i'm struggling with speed here and i'm wondering how other java/db2 developers may work with this.

when working with multiple tables, joining seems to be very slow. however, looping through a result set and making other individual queries is not that much quicker.

what am i missing here, .. there must be a way to use multiple tables quickly and efficiently.

i have a customer table with nearly a million rows, and other relations with 50k+ rows.

sql indexes? logicals? i'm not an expert on the db2 side of things, but what could i look into ( or suggest a db admin look into ) to speed up my queries?

the db2 database is in an as/400 and i'm connecting using the jtopen tool with the as/400 toolbox.

Have you done RUNSTATS ???
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

i think this is where my fustration starts .. i'm not a big as/400 buf, .. i have to communicate with the 400 administrator, .. who also equally doesn't know much about my side of things.

i have a login to the as/400, .. how does that work, and what does it tell me?

i just tried it
    Code:
    RUNSTATS ON TABLE MYTABLE
    token RUNSTATS was not valid