Question Unanswered: SOLVED!!! SLOW connection to SQL Server 2000 from Enterprise Manager

I have had a problem with Enterprise Manager connecting to SQL Server. At first this problem was experienced with one particular network user... whichever PC he logged onto, Enterprise Manager took ages to connect to SQL Server and every operation was painfully slow. Creating a new Windows NT logon fixed the problem.

I now have this same problem but only on my PC. It doesn't matter which Windows NT logon I use, using Enterprise Manager is painfully slow. I've tried creating a new Windows NT profile, checking the hard drive for errors, defragmenting the disk, reinstalling Enterprise Manager etc but nothing works.

What is strange is that connections from VB applications on my PC are fast. It is only Enterprise Manager that is slow.

I am using the latest service pack for SQL Server.

I thought it could be a problem with the Enterprise Manager registry values but don't want to start messing with them!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice would be great as I can't find any help from microsoft other than installing the latest service pack for SQL Server.

Thanks
    Last edited by martynhogg; 09-28-04 at 06:42. Reason: To communicate the solution to this problem in case others ever experience it

Anybody?

Can nobody help? I am at a total brick wall here!!! Enterprise Manager, Query Analyser etc are painfully slow from one PC but work eventually. Connections from the same PC in a VB application that I've written are lightning quick.

Any advice from anyone? Even just a kick in the right direction... how can I contact Microsoft about this?

Now where's the "pulling my hair out" smiley?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPppppp pppppppppp!!!!!!!

Is your PC Win XP SP2 ?
    Have you other applications using RPC running at the same time that EM ?

PC is Windows 2000 professional
    No other apps running. Enterprise manager is always slow on this PC only. It works on other Windows 2k machines, even on an identical laptop. It used to run OK on this laptop but then something happened (possibly corruption of the user profile) Creating a new profile fixed the problem on the other laptop, but this laptop remains excruciatingly slow.

Problem Solved!!!!!!!!!

I posted this on

http://communities2.microsoft.com/co...e-4ac3ae49332e

and got an answer...

In the ODBC manager there is a tab for "Tracing". In this tab there is an option to start or stop tracing. When Tracing is on, Enterprise Manager is SLOW! Simply switching this feature off makes EM lightning fast again!