Unanswered: I can't connect to my SQL database using Enterprise Manager :(

Hello,

I am trying to solve this problem for the past 1.5 weeks and it is driving me crazy

I can't connect to my SQL database using Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, Visual Studio 2003 .NET or a .aspx that I created for testing.. it runs perfectly on my domain but it doesnt work on my computer, on the browser I get this message: SQL Server unavailable or access denied. It is the same message I get when I try connecting to my db using EM, QA, VS.NET etc

I can ping my sql domain, so I know I have access to it and it is working.. I can successfully connect to my personal SQL server running on my machine. (SQL Server Personal Edition running on Windows XP )

I tried doing everything I could,

I already selected TCP/IP as my client only protocol;
    I tried installing the lastest MDAC (v 2.8);
    I tried every other port on my TCP/IP client setup like 14333 or 11433 or 11143 etc;
    I tried every other port on the alias I set for my sql address;
    I tried downloading the evaluation version of MS SQL2000 and updating it to SP3;
    I tried reinstalling several times my MS SQL2000 (I use the personal edition on my windows XP) and updating it to SP3;
    I tried connecting to my sql address domain and directly to its IP;
    And I tried a lot more resolutions that I can't remember right now, but it didn't work

I've been searching all forums/google etc looking for someone with my problem but I still didnt, everyone who had a problem connecting to their DB using EM or QA resolved it by doing "this or that", I did exactly the same "this or that" on my computer/config and it didn't resolve my problem.

What am I doing wrong? I can't connect to my database from my personal computer

I have never used enterprise manager before, so I don't know if it is a problem on my personal computer or on my sql server address on internet.. Is there anyway to find a free test ms sql database with like 1mb just to try and find out if I can connect to a sql database at all using EM or if the problem is here on my computer?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Xande
    Last edited by Xande; 09-10-04 at 00:38.

I cant connect to my sql db using enterprise manager

HI ,

I had similar problems , are you going through a firewall? also did you try typing in the ip addy instead of the server name?

Burner

Hello,

Yes, I tried typing the IP and I already opened the port 1433 on my router DSL..

Thanks

I can't connect to my SQL database using Enterprise Manager

HI ,

do you guys use port 1433, try port 2433.Do you guys connect through a firewall if yes type in the server on which the firewall resides IP...and port 2433 and see ...