Red face Unanswered: Splitting database - how to finalise the backend bit!

Hi there

I have split my database into front end and backend manually and also set the edited record of the default record locking to lock in the options menu.

My question is I noticed from one of the messages I read about the topic on the forum it said that one needs to make permission to access the server, drive and folder where the backend is stored.

As I have split my database manually, pls what does this really mean? and do I need to do this and can it be done manually?

How I intend to distribute the application is put a copy each of the front-end on 2 separate PCs and a copy of the front-end and the backend on the server machine.

The guy setting up the network asked me a question, am not too sure about the answer he said is there anything he needs to know about setting up access software for a network share.

I mean after this splitting is there anything crucial left to do to make the users to work with the application pls

Pls. can anyone help me out further.

Many Thanks in advance for ur help.

You simply need to make sure that the network user accounts on the frontend / client machines have adequate permissions to use the server machine share folders for the backend. Your system administrator should know how to do that with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by caprideveloper
    I mean after this splitting is there anything crucial left to do to make the users to work with the application pls
    If you have Access security settings on your database you should set permissions on database (back-end) tables. When the tables are re-linked tighter permissions of the database back-end will be effective.
    ~

Bill

Smile re Splitting of my database.

Hi Guys

Many Thanks for ur reply.

Smile

Users must also be allowed to modify the file from the server's permission side, even if they're supposed to only View (Read) records. You block them from editing records through Access, not the server.