Unhappy Unanswered: How do I load a dump please

Hi! I believe I have lost enough time with this one

I can get a dump file (dump.sql) from my server and I want to upload the data on my laptop. I am told to type

SHELL>mysqlimport db_name dump.sql

First question : how do I get to SHELL> ? All I seem able to get is either C:\MySQL\BIN> or mysql>

Second question : Once I am there - if I need to be there that is - how do I exactly type the command in order to avoid the infamous "ERROR 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax." ?

Third question : does anyone have a sugggestion about a CLEAR AND SIMPLE book on MySQL which would be "the unchallenged reference" please ?

Many thanks for even one reply to one of the above questions

John

Provided Answers: 54
    My guess would be that you have different versions of MySQL on your server and your laptop. At first glance, it would seem that the server side is a more recent release than the laptop, and that it might contain some SQL features not supported by the laptop, or possibly that the server side is using one database engine (such as Innodb) and the laptop is using a different engine (such as isam).

-PatP

I have MySQL 4.0.20 n my laptop. Is there a more recent version ?

Does the version have anything to do with how to access SHELL> ?

Thanks for your guidance

Hello,

"SHELL>" is just like dos "c:\", but it is a more general way to put it, so that it can be applicable to other operating systems. So, either go to your mysql "bin" subdirectory (which seems to be C:\MySQL\BIN), or go anywhere if you have C:\MySQL\BIN in your PATH environment variable. Then, on your laptop, type :

mysqlimport db_name dump.sql

where db_name is the name of the database on your laptop you want to import data into. I think you should have created a database on your laptop before doing the import, but I'm not sure (I've never tried to import data with mysql).

Regards,

RBARAER

Thanks RBARAER! It took a while to process your suggestion - God! DOS seems so far back in time - and realise mysqlimport only processes one table at a time.

Now that I at last know what SHELL> means I eventually used

shell> mysql db_name < dump.sql

and Lo and Behold!

It worked !

Second time you're helping me out, for which many thanks.

Have a look at justanybeer.com - we're getting there

Best from Belgium

Have Fun!
    One line at a time ...