Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7

    Unanswered: Merge Replication Issue

    Hello, I have a merge replication problem. I have one publisher/distributor
    and roughly about 40 subcribers to a replicated database of about 10 gig
    in size. I'm using SQL 2000 and have Sql sp3 on all my machines. I
    wanted to do some maintenance on my publsher and so I changed in the
    subscriber's job schedule the "Start Date" to be the next day. I don't know
    why but this caused the replications between the subscribers and the
    publishers to fail. The error message I received stated the following,
    "The process could not check the existence of the generation at the 'Publisher'".
    This message would appear after a 10 minute delay. So, I decided to
    change the "Start Date" back to the original date and just synch one of
    my subscriber. It started synching alright, but it seems to be going
    through several generations. It has taken the subscriber over six hours
    to synch and it has it not finished. I need to know if this is normal
    and how can I shorten the process. I thought it would just synch back
    with the publishers and upload the 1-day changes and not go through all
    the generations.

    Thanking you in advance for any assistance with this issue

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    3,662
    You probably need to check this and see what settings need to be affected when attempting to suspend merge agents:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plmon_9pwh.asp
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7

    Merge Problem

    First thank you for the reply. The article explained the problem I was going through.

    We fortunately found the root of our problem. It was not so much the validations that were happening at the subscriber but an individual subscriber that had a extremely large msgenhistory table that it wanted to compare with the distributor. This particular subscriber was a new subscriber and should not had needed to be trying to validate it's data since it had just received a new snapshot. So, we dumped it's gehist and that helped. After this we started to first start to synch our subscribers and as soon as they started validating the articles, we stopped the synchronization procees. We then immediately started the synch process again and everything was fine. We had to do this for every one of the 40 subscribers.

    Hope our experience helps others.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •