Unanswered: how to access back-end of finished SQL app

Hi,

I'm a MS Access developer who needs to help someone migrate/convert from a 'finished' SQL application to Access. How do I gain access to the SQL backend so I can examine/export the raw data? For example, in Access, I would hold down the Shift key while opening the program and it would give me editing rights to the database.

Please be very specific because I have zero experience with SQL.

Thanks,
    David

Provided Answers: 54
    Microsoft SQL Server can support any programming language or tool that can connect to an OLE-DB or ODBC data source, and a number of tools that can't even do that. The choices are practically infinite.

There is no common GUI manager for them all (heck, not all of them even have GUIs!), so there is no common "magic bullet" keystroke to do anything.

Your best bet is to find a way to get administrative access to the machine that the server is running on, and try to find a way to reverse engineer things that way. Once you get access to the underlying tables and the SQL Profiler, you'll have a lot better shot at working things out than you do at this point in time... Trying to attack this problem from the application "front side" is likely to be an exercise in extreme frustration, leaving you with no more insight than you've got right now.

-PatP

Instruction on how to access to the underlying tables is what I am asking for.

I'd start with Managing Microsoft SQL Server Security with Microsoft Access. Maybe that will help.

-PatP

You could create an Access Project (.adp) and set the connection properties (first prompt when creating an adp). Once you set server name and database you will be able to see all object that you have permission to (tables, stored procedures, views).

Now saying this, I still think (as Pat mentioned) that your best bet is to start from the server side and try to reverse-engineer your solution.

HTH

Thanks to both of you. If anyone has more info on specifically how to 'break in' to the finished application, or view its back-end, please let me know.
    -David

Do you have any clue what language(s) were used to write the app? The process is significantly different for Delphi than it is for VB (pre .NET) or a CLR language running under .NET. You really need to at least zero in on what you are trying to do before we can give you any suggestions.

I get the feeling that you are still thinking in terms of MS-Access. Real compiled code doesn't work that way... It is a whole different ball park.

-PatP

When you say backend, do you mean you just want access to the SQL Server data or you want to see the application code???? If it's raw data, there is no "breaking in". You either have security or you don't. If you don't, you need to talk to an administrator. Why are you trying to do this anyway?

If you do have security, you just need to do what they already told you.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.