Unanswered: Line garph or bar graph

Is it possible to use ASP and database in Microsoft Access to draw line graph or bar graph ?

If so please suggest !!

There definitely is, but it depends upon the level of complexity of the charts that you need. You have three options:

1) Crystal Reports - You could purchase Crystal Reports and have the CR display your graph.

2) COM Objects - There are many commerical COM objects out there that will generate a gif or jpeg based on a set of data you load into the object.

3) ASP - ASP doesn't have any built in function to do graphing, but for very basic graphic (pretty much only bar graphs), you can do it with loops. I've done this for a very simple bar graph where I had to display a series of totals. Once I had the totals and the pre-set increments of the bar graph, it was simply a matter of using a loop to create a table that displayed an image in the table cells which equaled or were less than the total.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Or you can use Microsoft's Office Web Components, which provide abilities to build Pivot Table, all kinds of charts and spreadsheet with data from various data sources. You can get some articles from MSDN to understand how this works.

But doesn't that require the full install of an office app?

I have Office 2003 installed, which has OWC version 11. I assume the MS Office is pretty standard on all PCs now. For Office 2000, it is OWC version 9.0. OWC is not easy to understand IF you want to get deep into it, but for most of us, it is cool enough to use.

Well, for larger enterprises, you'll never be able to load Office on a web server just for OWC. If you can get OWC without installing Office, that'd work.

Wink

the assumption is that the spreadsheets, charts, pivot tables etc. are for the client desktops. Whether server is involved or not is not that important, a simple HTML and VBScript can still do the job. In fact, if you want to build the spreadsheet or chart thru server, you still need to send the result back to client and display on clients. So I would not use server to do this kind of job.