Unanswered: Moving a split database to a different computer

I split a sample database (just learning how to do this) and now want to move the databases to another computer. I placed copies of these files on an external hard drive and am now trying to open the front end portion on another computer. I am getting an error message due to invalid file path. I searched help and did get Access "answer" (pasted below my question).

In following Access's suggestion (Linked Table Mgr is under Database Utilities), I get an error message once I get to the part, "Select New location of." I am choosing the back end database as the new location, because that is where the tables are located. I then click open, and the error message that pops up is, "Not a valid password". However, I have noticed that I now have the original table plus the table again with a 1 added to the name. Is that what access does when changing the path name, dump in another copy of each table and adds a 1 to the name? Do I just delete out the original linked tables? Is this working as it should?

Thanks,
    DFurlong

Use this procedure to view or to refresh links when the structure or location of a linked table has changed. The Linked Table Manager lists the paths to all currently linked tables.

To view or refresh links
    Open the database that contains links to tables.

On the Tools menu, point to Add-ins, and then click Linked Table Manager.

Select the check box for the tables whose links you want to refresh.

Click OK to refresh the links.
    Microsoft Access confirms a successful refresh or, if the table wasn't found, displays the Select New Location of <table name> dialog box in which you can specify it’s the table's new location.

If several selected tables have moved to the new location that you specify, the Linked Table Manager searches that location for all selected tables, and updates all links in one step.

To change the path for a set of linked tables
    Open the database that contains links to tables.

On the Tools menu, point to Add-ins, and then click Linked Table Manager.

Select the Always Prompt For A New Location check box.

Select the check box for the tables whose links you want to change, and then click OK.

In the Select New Location of <table name> dialog box, specify the new location, click Open, and then click OK.
    Notes

The Linked Table Manager doesn't move database or table files. If you want to move database or table files to a new location, use the Windows Explorer, My Computer, or the MS-DOS copy or move commands. Once you have moved a database or table, you can use the Linked Table Manager to refresh links to its linked tables.

The Linked Table Manager can't refresh links to Microsoft Access tables whose names were changed after they were linked. You must delete the current link, and then link such tables again. ---

Splitting a database

Dunno where to start here:

when you link/copy a table and you get the same table name with a 1 immediatley after it, the table with the 1 is usually a table with the same name (i.e. a copy of the original table). Microsof adds the 1 to distinguish between the two.

When splitting a database the normal practice is:
    Spit into application (forms, reports queries etc) and
    Data (tables)

Put tables on location on network where everyone can see them.
    Put application part where it's needed (usually on user(s) computer(s).
    Open application part.
    Use menu File->Get External Data->Link Tables
    Browse to the network location where the tables are.
    Select All Tables
    Click OK.
    Repeat for every application bit.

Two useful points.
    Map the part of the network where the data part of the database is, e.g as Drive H. This usually makes it easier to navigate to.

There are more elegent solutions using a DSN so that every fron end can be done once and copied anywhere, but it's a bit trickier initially.

Geod luck.