Thread: Query situation

Unanswered: Query situation

I'm trying to run a query based on a table with over 1 million records. The field that I'm basing this query on in my table is a field that contains a 10-digit telephone number. The telephone numbers in the field look exactly like this - 4075554623'

In another table, I have a field that contains only an area code and prefixes. The records look exactly like this - 407555 *

What I'm wanting to do is run a query that pulls up phone numbers from my original table that match only the area codes and prefixes listed in my other table. I hope this makes sense. If not, please post any other details that you might need. Thank you very much.

Provided Answers: 1
    First off, if you have mover a million records, you should SERIOUSLY think about upgrading your platform.

That said:

SELECT *
    FROM t1 INNER JOIN t2 ON t1.number = LEFT$(t2.number, 5)

This assuming t1 is your original table, and t2 is the table with just the area code + prefix.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I keep getting the infamous syntax error in date error or missing operator error. Here's my syntax....

SELECT *
    FROM CDRs_090904 INNER JOIN Cingular_NPANXX ON CDRs_090904.Calling# = LEFT$(Cingular_NPANXX.NPANXX, 5);

t1 = CDRs_090904 which is my original table
    t2 = Cingular_NPANXX which is the table that includes only area codes and prefixes
    Calling# = the table that holds the phone numbers
    NPANXX = the table that holds the area codes+prefixes.

CORRECTION.......

I keep getting the infamous syntax error in date error or missing operator error. Here's my syntax....

SELECT *
    FROM CDRs_090904 INNER JOIN Cingular_NPANXX ON CDRs_090904.Calling# = LEFT$(Cingular_NPANXX.NPANXX, 5);

t1 = CDRs_090904 which is my original table
    t2 = Cingular_NPANXX which is the table that includes only area codes and prefixes
    Calling# = the FIELD that holds the phone numbers in table CDRs_090904.
    NPANXX = the FIELD that holds the area codes+prefixes in table Cingular_NPANXX.

First, I think date error appears because you use # sign in your query. that character used to specify date values like #1/1/2204#. so you have to take Calling# field into brackets whenever use it in a query as [Calling#].

Second I think you should truncate the Table1, not Table2. since full numbers in Table1.

Code:

SELECT * 
    FROM CDRs_090904 INNER JOIN Cingular_NPANXX ON LEFT$(CDRs_090904.[Calling#],5) = Cingular_NPANXX.NPANXX
    ghozy.