Unanswered: Is Filemaker a good canned database package?

I am looking for a good "canned" database software package. Does anyone know if Filemaker is the database of choice. If not, what would be a recommendation?

Please explain ....

What exactly do you mean by "canned database". Do you need a shrink wrap finished system ... and then, for what ... or do you need a development system to produce shrink wrap systems?

Quote Originally Posted by dbase99
    I am looking for a good "canned" database software package. Does anyone know if Filemaker is the database of choice. If not, what would be a recommendation?

Still not sure

Hi chasjlee,

I am still not sure. Do you want a simple databasetool to create a system or do you want i finished system, ready to use. If the latter is the case, then you can hope that your wishes are very mainstream, like entering address and person info. But if they are more specific you will probably need to build a small custom system, depending on your demands you could do this in less than one hour with FileMaker. And if your system need to deploy your system to others the FileMaker Developer 7's ability to create stand-alone runtime applications for "free" might be what you need.

But ... when asking questions a plase like this, do considder explaining what you need in more details, thereby making sure that it is possible to answer you.

Best regards

Carsten

Quote Originally Posted by chasjlee
    chasjlee sent me a private email explaining "I am looking for a user friendly database software for simple entries and tracking those entries. I am trying to stay away from MS Access, and looking for an stand alone package."

Please ...

When asking questions, and even emailing those trying to answer, a minimum should be to answer the the questions needed to get the rigtht answer!
    If you dont want to waiste time answering suplementary questions, then please do not use a forum to ask your questions!

Ditto, C. Levin.

IMO, FileMaker is the best all-around database with powerful tools combined with unmatched ease-of-use. Now, having said that, it still depends upon what you plan to do and what factors are important to you.
    --ST

Actually, FileMaker gets consistently good reviews in the press. I don't believe I've ever seen it 'canned'.
    Last edited by CobaltSky; 10-11-04 at 06:15.
    -------------------
    Ray
    FileMaker Developer
    http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker