Unanswered: Query with string without using ''?

I have two queries with both the same result in Oracle 9. The field STAT_VER is a Varchar2(3) but in the query no '' are necessary for STAT_VER=2. The result with using '' is the same. Why? I can imagine that using Oracle 9 this works fine but using Oracle 8 not? Is that true?

The two queries:

select count (*) from gls_locatie
    where (gls_locatie.na1987 <> 'N' or gls_locatie.na1987 is null) AND (gls_locatie.TYPE <> 'W' or gls_locatie.TYPE is null) AND gls_locatie.eigenaar IN (SELECT DATA FROM gls_tabellen WHERE code = 'EIGENAAR')
    and jaar_EUT='2003'
    AND gls_locatie.stat_ver =2 and (gls_locatie.soort_urg='Nee' or gls_locatie.soort_urg is null)

select count (*) from gls_locatie
    where (gls_locatie.na1987 <> 'N' or gls_locatie.na1987 is null) AND (gls_locatie.TYPE <> 'W' or gls_locatie.TYPE is null) AND gls_locatie.eigenaar IN (SELECT DATA FROM gls_tabellen WHERE code = 'EIGENAAR')
    and jaar_EUT='2003'
    AND gls_locatie.stat_ver ='2' and (gls_locatie.soort_urg='Nee' or gls_locatie.soort_urg is null)

Provided Answers: 4
    Oracle implicitly performs conversion from number into varchar2 datatype when it is possible. Therefore, there's no need for you to use TO_CHAR function here.
    As far as I know, there's no difference between Ora8 and Ora9 regarding this issue.

Maybe a difference between Ora7 and Ora9?

Provided Answers: 4
    As far as I know, there's no difference between Ora7 and Ora9 regarding this issue.

Provided Answers: 1
    Actually, the implicit conversion goes the other way - i.e. the VARCHAR2 is implicitly converted to NUMBER. This example demonstrates:

SQL> select * from emp where ename=2;
    select * from emp where ename=2
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01722: invalid number

Presumably different behaviour is being seen because in the 9i database there are no non-numeric STAT_VER values (e.g. 'X'), whereas in the 8i database it happens that there is at least one. It has nothing to do with the versions per se.

This also shows why it is always a bad idea to reply on implicit conversions:
    a) you may have a false idea of what Oracle will do
    b) you may get ORA-01722 errors
    c) the implicit TO_NUMBER on the column prevents Oracle from using an index on it.

We have a big table here where the primary key is inexplicably defined as VARCHAR2(12) but is populated from a sequence. If I had a penny for every time I type "select * from big_table where id = 12345" and then wonder why it takes several seconds I'd have... well, several pennies anyway.

I have always wondered how Oracle do this, the implicit conversions. But as a matter of fact, I dont relay on implcit conversions, I always *do it* by myself as needed. What I guess that happens underneath, is that if you let the Engine guess for you, it will take *more* time, since somehow it must perform "ok, he's trying to compare an apple to a orange, so im gonna cast the apple as an orange because that's what he wants", instead if I do the conversion by myself, I am saving time on the engine to guess. This is just my oppinion and I have no theory or anything to back it up, thus allow corrections, will appreciate these.

You are right to always "do it yourself" via explicit conversions. But if you want to know the rules for implicit conversions, they are documented here in the SQL Reference - search for "Implicit Data Conversion". For example:
    - When comparing a character value with a NUMBER value, Oracle converts the character data to NUMBER.