Angry Unanswered: "The setting you entered isn't valid for this property"

I now and then get this message.

"The setting you entered isn't valid for this property"
    "To see the valid settings for this property, search the Help index for the name of the property" <OK>

My problem is that I don’t know were in what form, sub or function this problems arise.

Can anyone pleeeeease help ?
    Sincerely
    Vestigo

Vestigo

I now and then get this message.
    When exactly ?

When it happens, take a note of:
    - what you last did/ what buttons did you clicked/ what data you entered
    - what forms/queries/tables you have open at the time

As it says on the tin, this error will occur when you try to set a property to a value it outside it's range. e.g. setting the DisplayWhen property to 3 (valid settings are 0,1,2).

Do you see the Debug button when this error occurs ? If you click it it will take you to the code that causes the problem.

hth
    Chris
    Last edited by howey; 09-17-04 at 11:57.

Provided Answers: 1
    Just off the top of my head, I'm going to guess that you're trying to specify a setting that's not valid for a given property.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

No debug button

Hi guys.
    There is no <debug> button. Only <OK> (Bill forgot that button on this error)
    The error comes often when entering my app in design view after some testing.
    Do you know if Access 2003 has better bug search routine? (I'm about to upgrade these days)

Sincerely
    Vestigo

Provided Answers: 1
    What we're driving at is there's something behind the scenes that you aren't describing properly. You need to go through all the code that fired just before the error pops up and see where something is being set incorrectly. Also try compact and repair.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

De bug

I'm guessing that you could have the same problem with Access 2003 so it isn't worth upgrading just yet.

The only thing I can think of is lots of breakpoint and really pessimistic coding.

Each form has an onError event (properties). I would suggest putting code in that even to return thename of the form. Hopefullif the error is there then at least you'll get the name of the form popping up.

Another thing is to check the macros - I try not to use these. If you've got AUTOEXEC disable it and see it the error comes up. Go through every macro and either disable it or force it to ouput a message when it runs. That way if it precedes the error happening you've got a clue what's going on in the background.

Modules - go through each function/routine make sure it had an on Error routine to return at least the name of the function.

Reports - as with forms, or at least a message to tell you the name of the form.

It's a really brute force approach but some of the suggestions like an on error event for each form are good programming practice and should be in any application (but not necessarily in the way I've suggested here).

Good luck.